Paying the price

MTBoat

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I was wondering if I need to use quicksilver mercruiser oil in the 3.7 I have, or, can a person use Rotella or anothor type of ostensibly great oil, just not quite as expensive?
Thanks

tpenfield

Staff member
I typically use a top-shelf oil other than Quicksilver for the engines. Quicksilver for the outdrives.

MTBoat

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Thanks guys, I have some Rotella and I love it in all my other uses.

JoLin

Vice Admiral
You'll get as many opinions as posters. For most of us (well, me), an oil change is an annual event. I can buy a gallon + 1 quart of Quickilver 25W-40 at Walmart for a little over $30.00 + tax. I can buy another brand, with viscosity rating outside the recommended range for what, $5-10. cheaper? I use Quicksilver.

My .02

flipbro

Master Chief Petty Officer
15w40 is a fine choices but take into mind because of emissions they've removed close to all zink. That goes for all conventional motor oil now adays.witch if your running a roller cam isn't that big of a deal. Now if you run a flat tappet hydrolic you run the risk of damaging a loob even after break in.So I would recommend a zink additive in any oil change on a engine with a flat tappet cam just for extra protection just my 2 cent cheers..

alldodge

Staff member
Been using straight 40W in my engine and when I took it apart last year everything looked great. That said I also don't start my engines up if I have to put on a jacket

flipbro

Does anyone know if quiksilver 25w40 has a higher zink percentage then say 15/40 or strait 40? Since its intended use is boats..

agallant80

Commander
I have not seen one thread with the title of "My engine blew this weekend because I did not have Merc oil in it" thought if you had a newer one with Cats I would do a bit more investigation on the Rotella thing.

Last edited:

flipbro

Almost all engine oils including rotella have to meet the new standards to prolonge catiletic converter and o2 sensor life so to do this they remove much of the zddp. We use to like rotella because it had just the rite amount of zinc 1800ppm and just the rite amount of detergents so it didn't wash the zinc off.. You may not hear ive blown my engine but you my hear my flat tappit engine idels rough its low on power or back firing through the carb or you may never have a problem. What I do know is todays conventional motor oils are not formulated with flat tapit cam engines inmind.

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
Walmart prices:
Quicksilver 25W-40 4-Stroke Marine Oil 1 gal $24.97
Shell Rotella T 15W-40 Heavy Duty Diesel Oil, 1 gal. - $17.97

=$ 7.00

Really? So next time at McD's don't large size your meals...:rolleyes:.