Would you buy a boat with little engine time?

rbc

Seaman
2009 Ebbtide 2240 Extreme with Merc 350 300HP Bravo 1. Engine only has 42 hours on it and i don't think it has been used for at least a year. I worry about seals etc. I would have it surveyed but am I asking for trouble down the road?
I am new to I/O always had outboards.
thanks
rbc

alldodge

Staff member
2009 Ebbtide 2240 Extreme with Merc 350 300HP Bravo 1. Engine only has 42 hours on it and i don't think it has been used for at least a year. I worry about seals etc. I would have it surveyed but am I asking for trouble down the road?
thanks
rbc

Ah yep, maybe no, eerr, where is the boat and how much do they want for it ???? :attention:

Sorry but gee this is one of those if it sounds to good to be true things. An 09 with 43 hours and if it looks good then depending on price I would be all over it. Sure look it over, take it for a test drive, and if all checks out go for it.

A certified surveyor should be able to tell you anything to be concerned with. That said there are folks that say they are boat surveyors but are not certified and do not have the insurance to back them up

Tail_Gunner

Admiral
Until it prove's to be bad dont make it a bad situation. Have a marine survey done and a leak down test on the engine and maybe a compression test...Those step's will avoid a bad problem and hopefully it will turn out for the good. The engine is probably fuel injected and the hours can be read with a diag computer...For mefi 3 that is not sure about mefi 2

Last edited:

Bondo

Staff member
thanks
rbc

Ayuh,.... I see nothin' to worry about,.....

As noted above, a survey oughta point out any short comings,....

'round here with 2 month summers, that's sorta common,....