Outdrive choices

Keith7481

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I'm thinking about taking on a small project boat. 2000 Four Winns 18' Horizon with a v6. The outdrive is missing, from the pics I'm pretty sure it was a volvo but not sure which model. The transom assembly is in place as are the hydraulic arms for the trim. The owner believes I could replace the outdrive with either a volvo or mercruiser. I"m not sure if this is true or not? I love the volvo's but the replacement cost, even for a used is pretty steep compared to the mercs. I'm thinking I might sacrifice the better shifting of the volvo to save some $$ and go with merc.. But that also means taking out the transom assembly and starting at the flywheel I guess. I'm not sure I trust info from the current owner and was wondering if there is anyway to determine (based on year and model of boat and motor size) which volvo and/or mercruiser outdrives/ratios are best fit for the boat?

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,..... If it's a Volvo now, you won't save, Nothin' switchin' to a Mercruiser,....

It's be way more to swap, than just replace what was there,.....

The Only thing that Volvo, 'n Merc share is the basic Long Block motor,...... Nothin' else,....

Keith7481

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I'm thinking about taking on a small project boat. 2000 Four Winns 18' Horizon with a v6. The outdrive is missing, it was a volvo but not sure which model. The transom assembly is in place as are the hydraulic arms for the trim. The owner believes I could replace the outdrive with either a volvo or mercruiser. I"m not sure if this is true or not? I love the volvo's but the replacement cost, even for used is pretty steep compared to the mercs. I'm thinking I might sacrifice the better shifting of the volvo to save some $$ and go with merc.. But that also means taking out the transom assembly and starting at the flywheel I guess. I'm not sure I trust info from the current owner and was wondering if there is anyway to determine (based on year and model of boat and motor size) which volvo and/or mercruiser outdrives/ratios are best fit for the boat? If I go the merc route, will I have to remove the engine to take out the transom assembly?

K-2

Chief Petty Officer
Do you see a sticker on the engine, sometimes when you know exact engine model you can work from there to figure out what outdrive it was.
A sticker that says something like : 4.3 GXi-G or AQ175, etc ??

Keith7481

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I'm going to take a look at it this weekend, I was guessing that the engine info might be useful, just was wondering if there is any other way to tell. Thanks for that idea.

Keith7481

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I took a look at the boat, it is in fact a 1999, not a 2000. The engine is a 4.3 volvo GL, and the drive was an SX as I expected/feared. To replace with a rebuilt SX is going to be close to $3000. Haven't found a used SX for sale yet, and the rebuilts aren't cheap as I'm sure everyone knows. I'm loathe to disagree with Bondo, but it seems that switching to a merc might be more financially viable. Outdrive, transom assemblyw/rams, coupler, trim pump... what else am I missing?? Maybe a new flywheel?? Have found a full setup for around $800.... Even if I stayed with volvo, I think I'd have to take out the engine to make repairs to the transom assembly. Anyone else have any warnings/suggestions for running the volvo GL with a mercruiser drive?

Blind Date

Chief Petty Officer
I think your gonna run into a lot of problems and in the end you'll de-value the boat. As expensive as a used SX drive may be I suspect when all is said and done your money & time ahead just buying the correct drive.

Some other things to consider:

You'll need the adapter to mate the block to the MC transom assembly.
Hopefully the Volvo exhaust will work with the MC Y pipe.
MC has raw water pump in the drive, Volvo mounts on the front of he engine. How does that affect the engine cooling lines?
How different are the power steering set-ups.
Shift cable to drive? How will that work?
Does the Volvo have a shift interrupter switch? Need it for an Alpha.

I'm sure there is more.

Bondo

Staff member
I think your gonna run into a lot of problems and in the end you'll de-value the boat. As expensive as a used SX drive may be I suspect when all is said and done your money & time ahead just buying the correct drive.

Some other things to consider:

You'll need the adapter to mate the block to the MC transom assembly.
Hopefully the Volvo exhaust will work with the MC Y pipe.
MC has raw water pump in the drive, Volvo mounts on the front of he engine. How does that affect the engine cooling lines?
How different are the power steering set-ups.
Shift cable to drive? How will that work?
Does the Volvo have a shift interrupter switch? Need it for an Alpha.

I'm sure there is more.

Ayuh,..... It'll be 'bout as easy as stuffin' a 302 Ford, into a 1979 Chevy, Chevette,....

Impossible,..?? Nope, but foolhardy,....

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Easy choice without thinking more than a second...put a Volvo SX back on it.

If that boat came form a climate that freezes, i would be testing that engine before I spent anymore money.

Last edited:

Keith7481

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Ok, I'm convinced. Unfortunately (or maybe fortunately :faint2: ) he wants more for the boat/engine than it would be worth with an SX added, so even though the engine tests fine, I'm going to pass on it. Putting an SX in it would be a money loser. He is planning to part out what would otherwise be a nice boat. Thanks for all the thoughtful guidance, much appreciated.....

Keith7481

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Ok, we need to add an emoticon that resembles beating a dead horse...(OMG, they actually have one) that said, anyone know if a 1990 Cobra outdrive would fit the 1999 volvo motor? I saw a posting which suggested that late model OMC's were very similar, including transom assemblies, to the Volvo's. Not sure if this was true all the way to 1999?:deadhorse:

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner
Ok, we need to add an emoticon that resembles beating a dead horse...(OMG, they actually have one) that said, anyone know if a 1990 Cobra outdrive would fit the 1999 volvo motor? I saw a posting which suggested that late model OMC's were very similar, including transom assemblies, to the Volvo's. Not sure if this was true all the way to 1999?:deadhorse:

The short answer is NO.......the long answer is maybe (but there's "stuff" to do to make it work that is likely not worth it.......)

Last edited:

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner
Ok, I'm convinced. Unfortunately (or maybe fortunately :faint2: ) he wants more for the boat/engine than it would be worth with an SX added, so even though the engine tests fine, I'm going to pass on it. Putting an SX in it would be a money loser. He is planning to part out what would otherwise be a nice boat. Thanks for all the thoughtful guidance, much appreciated.....

It would be "worth it" if you could get the boat for basically free, you had someone that would buy the complete Volvo stuff for cash and THEN had on hand a complete Mercruiser "drive-line" (fan-belt--->prop) to install (AND you did it yourself)

Regards,

Rick

Keith7481

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Thanks Rick, thought that would be the case but just wanted to be sure. Will start a new thread next time. Keith

sub2010ss

Petty Officer 1st Class
The only "Dead Horse" to beat here is the following:

That said, the short answer is NO.......the long answer is maybe (but there's "stuff" to do to make it work that is likely not worth it.......)

Well, technically it was his post, and really not that old.....:laugh:

JoLin

Vice Admiral
Keith, you'll need to do some more research. The Volvo/OMC swap is doable only if the OMC drive is a Cobra 'SX'. OMC Cobra SX and Volvo-Penta SX are the same drives. If it's an OMC 'King Cobra', forget it. The SX drive series was the result of an OMC/V-P joint venture in the 1990's, but I'm not certain that the series dates back as far as 1990.

Last edited:

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner
Thanks Rick, thought that would be the case but just wanted to be sure. Will start a new thread next time. Keith

Originally posted by sub2010ss

Well, technically it was his post, and really not that old.....
laugh.gif

Um....Yeeeah......

Kieth,

My TOTAL SCREWUP !! ! That's what I get for having multiple threads open in multiple tabs!!

That "Don't Hijack" diatribe was evidently for another thread - post hijacker!!

(I wonder what I said to him!!)

Hope you find a great boat for the summer!

Cheers,

Rick