Running Bravo 3 out of the water.

agallant80

Commander
I have a flush system that allows me to turn off the raw water and bypass it with hose water. My question is does the B3 drive need to be in the water or can I run the motor via the flush system while its on the trailer?

Fun Times

Staff member
While on the trailer it's best to use the flusher connected to the drive unless you have a valve that is able to shutoff the inlet side between the drive and flush kit inside the boat which a valve don't come standard from merc new. If you use the kit inside the boat without either blocking off the holes on the drive or having the drive in water you stand a really good chance of sucking some air which will shorten the lifespan of the impeller and housing significantly.

Also it's best to allow freshwater to flow through the transom assembly inlet water fitting to try and slowdown any potential corrosion that has a tendency to sometimes build blocking water flow plus causing other damage. If you have the valve which it seems you may rereading your post, it's also a good idea to back flush down to the drive by opening the valve for a bit once you've shutdown the engine.

Last edited:

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner
I have a flush system that allows me to turn off the raw water and bypass it with hose water. My question is does the B3 drive need to be in the water or can I run the motor via the flush system while its on the trailer?

You probably have the hose connection somewhere between the transom raw water supply hose and the raw water pump on the engine, and a valve to prevent water from running back out the drive?

The Bravo III doesn't need water in it at all to run since you're not going to run it "loaded". The entire drive is actually cooled by being in the water, but running it unloaded, it produces little heat.

If you connected the hose to the raw water pump discharge, you would want to remove the drive belt to prevent damaging the impeller.

Regards,

Rick

thumpar

Admiral
Make sure that the water supply goes in before the sea water pump or disable the sea water pump so it doesn't get bunt up. It would be a lot easier to just get a set of muffs if it is on the trailer. My boat is a trailer queen and I run it on the trailer before every outing to check things over.

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner
Make sure that the water supply goes in before the sea water pump or disable the sea water pump so it doesn't get bunt up. It would be a lot easier to just get a set of muffs if it is on the trailer. My boat is a trailer queen and I run it on the trailer before every outing to check things over.
Yeah, I run mine with a drive flush adapter ("muffs") when I want to run it on the trailer......

//