What greases and sealants do you use? Outdrive/Gaskets/Cables/O-Rings/Etc

enginesilo

Petty Officer 1st Class
I grabbed myself a tube of the 2-4-C grease, and the Extreme Grease last year since I was using generic grease before. Is the 2-4-C grease good for most spots in the outdrive and engine? Good for putting a thin coat on o-rings and such when doing repairs?

How about Perfect Seal on the gaskets? I haven't got this one yet but I am doing my impeller this year and I read in the manual it said the gasket should get a nice coat of this. Is this what you guys use? I always remember Don S (RIP, I miss you every time I think of my I/O) on the forums mentioning aviation gasket maker did just as good of a job. I already have some Permatex? Super “300” Form-A-Gasket, can I use this in place of Perfect Seal? The Perfect Seal container is gigantic and doubt I'd use that up in a few lifetimes.

How about on the screws and bolts that connect the upper to the lower unit? I've seen member achris mention he uses AquaLube grease. Can I use the 2-4-C or the Extreme Grease on those bolts in the same way AquaLube is used? My screws had a bunch of salt water powder in the threads so I want to be sure I grease these bolts before I reinstall after I clean them up.

Any tips appreciated.

Last edited:

enginesilo

Petty Officer 1st Class
Just a note, I Googled around and the Permatex that Don S recommended was the Aviation #3, not the Super 300.

Fun Times

Staff member
Either the 2-4-C grease or the extreme grease will work fine on the bolts that connect the upper and lower units. It'll be easier just to use the new extreme grease everywhere and pretty much be done with it. Bondo should like this news.:D
Merc has reduced the number of greases they had by switching over to the extreme grease. Some details are below.

As for the need for the perfect seal on the impeller gasket, the latest OEM impeller kit now comes with the gaskets already glued to the stainless steel faceplate (< new part number 866233001) so you don't have to add any additional sealant. Forum member Mark has already gone through this and posted some info about it seen here,http://forums.iboats.com/forum/engin...nt#post5703254

mHesuk8IRN-WFGT4xCrSkTg.jpg

Mercury 2-4-C Marine Lube with PTFE Equipment Applications:
  • Steering Systems / Cable Linkages
  • Throttle / Shift Cables & Linkages
  • Remote Controls
  • Prop Shafts
  • Swivel Pins
  • Tilt Lock Mechanisms / Tilt Tube
  • Hinge Pins
  • Boat Trailer Wheel Bearings
QuickSilver Marine High Performance Extreme Grease, 8 oz. 92-8M0071838
Part No. 92-8M0071838
QuickSilver high performance extreme grease
  • Calcium sulfonate-based NLGI 2 grease
  • Excellent rust and corrosion protection
  • Formulated for high-temperature and low-load applications
  • 100% compatible with lithium-based greases
For use in the following applications
  • Steering systems/cable linkages
  • Throttle and shift cables and linkages
  • Drive shaft splines
  • Gimbal bearings
  • U-joints
  • Suspension systems
  • Chassis
  • Ball joints
  • Disc brakes and ABS applications
  • Trailer wheel bearings
Replaces:
  • [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]MerCruiser Engine Coupler Spline Grease - part #92-802869Q1[/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT]
  • [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]MerCruiser U-Joint & Gimbal Bearing Lubricant - part #92-802870Q1 & #92-802871Q1[/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT]
  • [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]MerCruiser Anti-Corrosion Grease - part #92-802867Q1[/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT]
Great for
  • Boat
  • Trailer
  • Utility trailer
  • Auto
  • Truck
  • Camper
  • ATV/UTV
  • Motorcycle
  • snowmobile
I also like to use Sta-Lube? Marine Blue Grease as it works really well for O-rings, prop shafts, bolts/studs such as the drive to bell housing nuts, etc..
crc_stalube_marine_bearing_grease.jpg

enginesilo

Petty Officer 1st Class
Either the 2-4-C grease or the extreme grease will work fine on the bolts that connect the upper and lower units. It'll be easier just to use the new extreme grease everywhere and pretty much be done with it. Bondo should like this news.:D
Merc has reduced the number of greases they had by switching over to the extreme grease. Some details are below.

As for the need for the perfect seal on the impeller gasket, the latest OEM impeller kit now comes with the gaskets already glued to the stainless steel faceplate (< new part number 866233001) so you don't have to add any additional sealant. Forum member Mark has already gone through this and posted some info about it seen here,http://forums.iboats.com/forum/engin...nt#post5703254
Awesome info!!!

So it sounds like the 2-4-C and Extreme Grease both cover just about everything. I may pick up a tub of that Marine Grease you mentioned for random areas where I want an open tub. I bought the extreme grease in the tube so that's loaded into my grease gun now.

With the water pump gasket, I bought that exact kit the last time that had the gasket already on the faceplate. This year I bought just the impeller kit (without the housing, carrier seal, etc) and it has the old school separate gasket from the faceplace. I think i'll track down some of that Aviation #3 Don S used to like.

So do you use the Perfect Seal anywhere? I've seen it mentioned a few times in the Merc Manual.

Bondo

Staff member
Awesome info!!!

So it sounds like the 2-4-C and Extreme Grease both cover just about everything. I may pick up a tub of that Marine Grease you mentioned for random areas where I want an open tub. I bought the extreme grease in the tube so that's loaded into my grease gun now.

With the water pump gasket, I bought that exact kit the last time that had the gasket already on the faceplate. This year I bought just the impeller kit (without the housing, carrier seal, etc) and it has the old school separate gasket from the faceplace. I think i'll track down some of that Aviation #3 Don S used to like.

So do you use the Perfect Seal anywhere? I've seen it mentioned a few times in the Merc Manual

Ayuh,.... I buy the tiny bottles of Form-a-Gasket #3 at my local Napa,....

It's pretty much exactly the same thing as Perfect seal,...

The caution to keep in mind usin' 2-4-C is, it's for bushing type bearings,...
No roller, No balls, No needles, just bushing bearings,...