Newer Bravo III Corrosion issues?

agallant80

Commander
I know some of the older ones had issues with corrosion but are the newer ones any better? Do all of the newer B3 include a mercathode system? Will the boat being slipped in brackish water instead of salt make a huge difference?

Bondo

Staff member
I know some of the older ones had issues with corrosion but are the newer ones any better? Do all of the newer B3 include a mercathode system? Will the boat being slipped in brackish water instead of salt make a huge difference?

Ayuh,.... Are you seein' corrosion on Yer's,..??

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
Make sure you have the right anodes for the water you're going to be in. Fresh or salt?

alldodge

Staff member
Corrosion in most cases start on the bearing carrier, and so long as your Mercathode is putting out the correct voltage (750 - 1180mV with special probe) and you have aluminum anodes you should be good. If you start to see any corrosion during annual checks (like I did), just clean the corrosion and then repaint the areas.
B3 barring carrier.jpg

thumpar

Admiral
I don't know if the mercathode is standard or not but my 1996 B1 came with it so it is not a new thing.

lg260ss

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Back around 2005, Merc added 2 anodes to the Bravo3 drive. One on the cavitation plate and one over the prop nut, for a total of 6 anodes. They also started making the Mercathode system standard equipment on Bravo 3 drives around that time.
Your drive came standard with aluminum anodes which are recommended for brackish water.
I would take the advice of Alldodge and test the output of the Mercathode. You can also add a second Mercathode for added protection if needed, and some have added additional anodes around the outdrives.
The dreaded Bravo 3 corrosion issues are still happening in certain cases, so you will need to watch your drive and anodes closely at first.