Bellows Replacement-When do YOU change yours?

enginesilo

Petty Officer 1st Class
When do you all change your bellows for guys who keep their boats in the water all season? I've read some say to change bellows every 5 years as preventative maintenance. Then I see forums where people have original bellows 10+ years later and are still going strong. Was just curious when some of you change yours and if you do it routinely, or wait till you see they are nearing their end and then change them.

alldodge

Staff member
When do you all change your bellows for guys who keep their boats in the water all season? I've read some say to change bellows every 5 years as preventative maintenance. Then I see forums where people have original bellows 10+ years later and are still going strong. Was just curious when some of you change yours and if you do it routinely, or wait till you see they are nearing their end and then change them.

IMO fives years is a good number if you don't pull it out but every 5 years. If you pull the drive off at least every other year for lube change, engine alignment check, and such then you could move it out some due to inspection. This is for fresh water, for salt your rolling the dice

Last edited:

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,.... I keep an eye on My barge, 'n changed mine at 8 years,...

The u-joint bellows didn't have any holes, but the purged grease had caused it to soften, 'n expand,...

Ken33

Cadet
Mine lasted 37 years,boats is in dry storage.always use mercrusier parts not aftermarket

jbetzelb

Petty Officer 1st Class
Mine were new in 1989 and still in place. Boat does'nt leak a drop of water. My boat sits in my garage and still looks close to new but I suspect I am pushing it. It sits on the water 1 week a year and the rest of the time it is used a few hours on weekends 5 or 6 times a year.

bilge rat jim

Petty Officer 1st Class
Every 5 years, just like the book says. I've never had a boat sink, never had an overheat because of a bad water hose, never had an internal gear case problem because of a bad shift cable or gimbal bearing. To me, it only makes sense to spend a few hundred dollars to protect a boat worth thousands. To those who have neglected this little replacement for years (or, apparently decades), I will quote Clint: "do ya feel lucky?":crazy: