DIY Bellow Replacement-Is it worth trying? What was your experience?

enginesilo

Petty Officer 1st Class
Just curious the level of job this is, and about how long it should take someone doing it the first time? I got a quote for 9 hours to do the bellows, shift cable, and trim sender/trim sensor. Seems reasonable in the amount of time its going to take, just the $100 per hour price tag sort of stings a bit.

I'm considering doing my own bellows since its still early in the season and leaves plenty of time for fixes, or to have it fixed by a mechanic if I can't do it. Was just curious how long it takes the newbie to do a job like this? I'll probably just buy some of the tools on eBay with the bellows expander/alignment tool/etc just to save myself the hassle of spending time making tools. For the gimbal bearing i'll just borrow a slide hammer and i'll have the tool to reinstall it from ebay.

I've read the manual, watched some YouTube videos and it all looks challenging, but doable with time and lots of patience, and a few specialty tools.

Also curious if any of those bellow kits on eBay are worthy, or if I should just go with the OEM stuff.

jimbo_jwc

Ship Happens
I had my out drive rebuilt and decided to have the bellows and gimble brg done at same time , they installed outdrive and did the rest plus changed the shift cable for 650 bucks and I felt like it was worth it with Mercruiser parts .With shipping the outdrive and waiting a month and a few weeks to get in because the season I wanted it done and I didn't want to chance it .

Last edited:

SDSeville

Lieutenant
I did my own bellows. It was a PITA, but if I remember correctly it only took a couple hours. ...and as many on iboats can attest -- I am no mechanic.

enginesilo

Petty Officer 1st Class
I had my out drive rebuilt and decided to have the bellows and gimble brg done at same time , they installed outdrive and did the rest plus changed the shift cable for 650 bucks and I felt like it was worth it with Mercruiser parts .With shipping the outdrive and waiting a month and a few weeks to get in because the season I wanted it done and I didn't want to chance it .
$650 with parts? If so, you got a great deal! My local guys want closer to $800-$900 for labor alone.

I did my own bellows. It was a PITA, but if I remember correctly it only took a couple hours. ...and as many on iboats can attest -- I am no mechanic.
1 vote for DIY, cool :)

FreeBeeTony

Captain
I did my u-joint bellows and shift cable bellows........not too bad,
I have an exhaust tube instead of the bellows which makes it a lot easier.
Watch a few you tube videos to get an idea of what you're getting into.

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
I say do the job yourself. It's not that tough, it's the guys who have no money for the right tools that make the job look tough. I found with exhaust bellows expanders it was the easiest part of the job. Just be sure you cut the raw water hose down to size so it doesn't knik on the install and use cable ties for the shift boot not that metal ring. If you get the non OEM bellows it's a bit tougher but either way if you warm them up before fitting them it goes easier.

bspeth

Senior Chief Petty Officer
You can do it,we will help.I trial fit everything to get a sense of how to access the clamps once you start putting it together.I used OEM as a lot of the more experienced guys suggested.I used the old race on the end of a 2x4 to drive the new bearing and bbq tongs with the ends bent out for the exaust bellows.Just read up in the manual,but when you take it apart it will all make sense to you.It took me a Saturday as I took my time to ensure I was confident in the repair(first bellows job).

Last edited:

enginesilo

Petty Officer 1st Class
What drive do you have?
Alpha 1 Gen 2, the later end of the serial number so most parts work with it.

I say do the job yourself. It's not that tough, it's the guys who have no money for the right tools that make the job look tough. I found with exhaust bellows expanders it was the easiest part of the job. Just be sure you cut the raw water hose down to size so it doesn't knik on the install and use cable ties for the shift boot not that metal ring. If you get the non OEM bellows it's a bit tougher but either way if you warm them up before fitting them it goes easier.
Great tips and knowledge, thanks for all these small details! So the shift boot gets a zip tie, and not a stainless clamp? I poked around and found the OEM kit with the model #30-803099T 1, priced around $220+. Those eBay kits are definitely cheaper at around $80, but I typically like to go with OEM parts. Guess i'll see if anyone else chimes in there, or bite the bullet and just go OEM.

You can do it,we will help.I trial fit everything to get a sense of how to access the clamps once you start putting it together.I used OEM as a lot of the more experienced guys suggested.I used the old race on the end of a 2x4 to drive the new bearing and bbq tongs with the ends bent out for the exaust bellows.Just read up in the manual,but when you take it apart it will all make sense to you.It took me a Saturday as I took my time to ensure I was confident in the repair(first bellows job).
Great tips and confidence votes here too, and some DIY on the tools! I have a friend who has a few tools, so i'll probably see if I can borrow them, and buy the others so we have a complete collection. Did you also do the shift cable while you were in there? How was that part of the job? Someone told me that was worse than the bellows job if doing it alone. I might also update my trim sendor/sensor since they were the one fritz last year. Guessing this would be the easiest of the 3 jobs.

Anyone use the exhaust tube instead of the bellow and like it? I almost put it on a few seasons back because my exhaust bellow popped off, but I managed to get it back on so I never went that route. While I'm doing the whole job its probably better to just user the real exhaust bellow. Anyone favor one over the other?

Thanks to everyone who chimed in so far, great to know I won't be alone if I decide to do this job and take on the task.

Last edited:

dozerII

Admiral
It's not a real bad job:rolleyes: make sure your swear jar is empty, by the time your done you should have enough coin in it to pay for the parts:D

FuelishBehavior

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I bought all the parts in a handy kit, and all of the tools as well. I also had to drill out and heli-coil the gimble housing bolts which was a scary chore. However, I took my time and with a few beers and a couple of friends over we got it done in a good strong day. It's not easy but if you follow the direction of the people on this forum as well as some very good instructional videos, it's not THAT bad.

thumpar

Admiral
I did mine on my old boat. It wasn't as hard as some people make it out to be. Just follow the directions and you will be fine. If you get stuck come back and ask questions.

enginesilo

Petty Officer 1st Class
Thanks again everyone. Its GREAT to hear all these Votes to DIY. I'll definitely be tackling this job either this year or the next based on how my bellows are looking.

bspeth

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Shift cable was easy once I took the old one off and apart, with alot of these repairs the light switch will just go on once you disassemble.That is my limited experience.

Bulbash

Petty Officer 1st Class
1st time it took me 3 hours, second time 2hrs. Very easy job. Just make sure to get a second pair of hands to take outdrive off and to put it back on.

Maclin

Admiral
I do my own on an older VolvoPenta duoprop DP-A. Very simple once you have the proper procedure and going slow, couple of hours maybe. On my type only the top of the drive has to come off, so not as much heavy lifting involved, but yours is still within human tolerances!. Very satisfying to me to get the job done for cost of parts alone.

enginesilo

Petty Officer 1st Class
Thanks again everyone. With THIS MANY Votes to do it myself I can't see why I wouldn't take the challenge on and have the satisfaction of doing it on my own, with the help of some of you. Great to know the community is here to help, I appreciate it everyone!

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Don't bother with the exhaust bellows until it rips or gets really old.

JoLin

Vice Admiral
I've never done it, either and I hemmed and hawed about doing them myself, too. In the end I decided to hire a mechanic who'll be coming to the house this morning to look things over. The only reason I opted to have someone else do it, is that it is a physically challenging job and I have some issues there. If you're in decent shape you should be able to manage it.

I'd opt for OEM parts every time. It's almost always your best shot for ease of installation and longevity of the job regardless of what you're fixing.

My .02

Last edited: