Engine oil.

viper1

Petty Officer 1st Class
Ok first off, I Di search and read the other threads. Tons and tons of them. But guess at my age, the brain gets confused more easily. Age old question on Merc crusiers. Which oils can i use be sides quick silver. Reason being I really dont want to pay the cost these days by the quart. And so I 'd like to get a 5 gallon bucket. I only boat may till september. And the boat has a 4 cyl. Merc.I/O, My car is a HHR that requires 5w -30 and My truck is a Suburban Ive always run 10W 40 Valvoline in. My question is. What would be a good compromise for all 3 if there is one.

alldodge

Staff member
Ok first off, I Di search and read the other threads. Tons and tons of them. But guess at my age, the brain gets confused more easily. Age old question on Merc crusiers. Which oils can i use be sides quick silver. Reason being I really dont want to pay the cost these days by the quart. And so I 'd like to get a 5 gallon bucket. I only boat may till september. And the boat has a 4 cyl. Merc.I/O, My car is a HHR that requires 5w -30 and My truck is a Suburban Ive always run 10W 40 Valvoline in. My question is. What would be a good compromise for all 3 if there is one.

:popcorn: another oil thread

IMO use only 5w-30 in your HHR
So far as the Suburban and boat I would suggest 15W-40 API SJ (Diesel) or 5W-40 API SJ synthetic

airshot

Rear Admiral
After all the money spent on a boat in maintence, fuel, upkeep and the added costs with a tow vehicle why worry about a couple dollars more for oil. In my area the good mercruiser (quicksilver) stuff adds 4 dollars to the cost of 4 quarts????

mr 88

Commander
I would run the Valvoline that you use for the suburban in the Merc as well,both chevy blocks [,unless its a 470] and under load normaly requires a heavier oil.The boat has more load than the suburban.Keep the car the same as your doing now.Outdrive oil I stick with Mercruiser.

agallant80

Commander
I am going to say what I always say on these threads. I don't know of one person or have read one thread of engine failure due to what brand oil used. I would stick with the weight or as close as possible but for the brand or synthetic or non-synthetic it won't matter.

WIMUSKY

Staff member
There's no compromise for all 3. If your HHR sez run 5w-30, that's what you need to use. I'm guessing your suburban is older? Your HHR probably has tighter tolerances, hence the 5w. I have to run 5w-20 in my 3/4 ton truck with a hemi. I would use 10w-40 in your boat to at least match your truck. Run the Valvoline that your truck uses in your boat too. Then you'll only need 2 different oils instead of 3.

Tail_Gunner

Admiral
Ohh now to oil that is easy it's the filters that are....well shall we say to wix or not to wix that is truly the question....:watermelon:

viper1

Petty Officer 1st Class
I started as a mechanic when i was 17. And by the time I as 23 I was the head mechanic in an auto motive repair shop. And at around 26 I was certified as a mechanic. I have seen differences in what oils can do. But the one thing i never seen is a engine ruined if maintenance was kept up. I changed oil and filter every 3000 miles then as I do now. Yes I know they say it isn't necessary. But clean oil don't hurt and the way the time things to wear out today, I have to wonder about that advice of running longer. But with that all said there are so many changes I always ask,
Now the HHR calls for a synthetic oil of 5W-30 or even a 0W-30 in colder climates. Which i didn't know the last one existed. So I guess I should stay with the 5w-30 in it. Now my suburban has always used 10w40 valvoline. Its a 96 and its rolled over at least 3 times already. So thats not changing either. Not sure what to do on the merc crusier. But thinking the valvoline 10w 40 might be ok.
Also the only reason I could see for one engine to recommend a 0 or a 5w rating is if the oil ports were so slamm thats all that would pass through in real cold weather. But like i said, I'm 62 and fell like i woke up in the future at times. LOL!

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Viper1, you have been a member here for 13 years! Only newbies are allowed to start oil threads! I think it states it as such in the forum rules.

WIMUSKY

Staff member
Now the HHR calls for a synthetic oil of 5W-30 or even a 0W-30 in colder climates. Which i didn't know the last one existed.

I use 0W-30 Yamalube in my 4 stroke snowmobile.

I would run that 10w-40 in the Merc. That way you can use it in your truck too.....

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner
It's like a sign of spring. Blue birds, buds on the trees, oil topics ...:bounce:

AND: "My oil looks like Milkshake!!!.......could it be a blown headgasket?"
toothlessgiggler.gif

crazy charlie

Vice Admiral
I have tried to stay out of oil threads for some time now....HOWEVER... if I put any decent brand of SAE 30 oil in the containers of oil you all have mentioned...Neither you or your motor would know the difference and everything would be just fine.Charlie

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral
I have tried to stay out of oil threads for some time now....HOWEVER... if I put any decent brand of SAE 30 oil in the containers of oil you all have mentioned...Neither you or your motor would know the difference and everything would be just fine.Charlie

Uh-oh. Now you've done it. You've officially opened Pandora's box by expressing an opinion on oil. Time to duck and cover...

:behindsofa:

joetheis

Petty Officer 1st Class
I'll toss in my oil can (remember when oil came in cans and you had to put the "V' hole in it with the spout?)!
Being a fence jumper from sailing (after the boom smacked my wife in the head-for the 3rd time), I bought a power boat, (yeah I know I should have kept the sailboat and got a new first mate)!
It was a '80 Silverline with a 228 (Chevy 305).
Being anal 4 wheel mechanic, I went to the dealer and they told me 30 oil, gave me the Merc Cruiser stuff, but told me AFTER the sale, that NAPA oil is just as good.
I figured 10-40 or 20-50 like my Beemer bike, but old fashion 30 wt? weird!
I ran a Merc Cruiser oil filter, but switched to a better 305 (finer micron filters) filter from a 305 engine.
Joe
just my 2 cents
Remember always take any advice I give with a can of beer er 2!

Tail_Gunner

Admiral
Lets see if i get the last word here......Now bear with me here.....alll of the boat engines up to 2014 are 30 yr old design's so 30 yrs ago syn oil would have been considered magic oil. It is what it is come on guy's really.

Chad Flaugher

Petty Officer 1st Class
Oh wow... I have been tempted to start an oil thread for quite a while! I figured it's been done before a million times, so i''ll be watching... :congratulatory: