Starter Bolt Seized (Ideas)

mr 88

Commander
Put something on the gunnel that will be high enough when you put a bar across it that the motor will clear the floor.Almost like making a small A-frame in the boat.Something like a few 4x4s three-four feet long stacked on top of each other.Bar across it with a come-along/hoist attached to it.Pull it up and roll it forward or leave it in place and work on it like that,after bracing from underneath.... Or.... Not sure what kind of room you have on the sides but if you have it use a tow trucks boom to pull it,Thats how I got a couple out of boat I had on a high trailer,cash worked the best when negotiating a price with the operator beforehand and everything was ready for him when he showed up.

BigDog98

Chief Petty Officer
No Title

here is my pre-k diagram of my theory. As you can kinda tell of just putting a 4x4 in across the port and starbord gunnel and hooking a come-along and lifting the engine just high enough inside the engine to jut get enough room to access the starter. What do you guys think?

Attachments

• photo216690.jpg
    photo216690.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

BigDog98

Chief Petty Officer
No Title

The engine is back in there. I only have about 1 foot to move the engine forward to make clearance. I dont even know if i can make it. Will the motor fit through the opening?

Attachments

• photo216691.png
    photo216691.png
    388.2 KB · Views: 0

BigDog98

Chief Petty Officer
No Title

Updated version on theory #2

Attachments

• photo216692.jpg
    photo216692.jpg
    148.5 KB · Views: 0

flipbro

Master Chief Petty Officer
Big Dog is there a local company with a pitman or small boom truck you could hire? Find out what there minimum is most charge a mine of two hours. That would be safe and give you enought time if you got everything planned out and ready

BigDog98

Chief Petty Officer
Big Dog is there a local company with a pitman or small boom truck you could hire? Find out what there minimum is most charge a mine of two hours. That would be safe and give you enought time if you got everything planned out and ready

As i mentioned before, there is no space for a lift or room to come up from behind to hoist the engine.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
You actually have way more room in your boat than mine and I can take my starter off. Remove your starboard exhaust manifold and you will be amazed how much easier it is to get to the starter.

I would hold off on taking off the engine for now.

BigDog98

Chief Petty Officer
You actually have way more room in your boat than mine and I can take my starter off. Remove your starboard exhaust manifold and you will be amazed how much easier it is to get to the starter.

I would hold off on taking off the engine for now.

I actually did take the manifold off. There is just a tight space between the water tank and the starter and i cant get enough leverage from underneath. So that idea is crossed out long time ago.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
How hard is it to take that water tank out? Looks easy from your photo.

wrench 3

Commander
Ayuh,.... 'cause it Is,.....

'course, I've got easy access to air tools, hoists, mountains of tools, 'n a few decades of practice,... ;)

Take yer tool kit over there, 'n Prep it for pullin' the motor, that bein' removin' everything that's gotta be removed to get the motor out,...
Pull the drive,... Unhook All the motor Stuff,.... All the bolts, hardware, wirin', plumbin', Everything but the 2 rear motor mount Bolts,...
Loosen 'em, so's they can be lifted by yer fingers, just sittin' in-place,....
Then move the boat to some sorta lift, a hoist in a buildin', or a local Hi-lo operator will do,...
When ya find the Lift, whatever it is, pull the 2 rear bolts, hook up yer chains, 'n pull it out,...
As long as the hull is on a wagon, you can put wheels under the motor, 'n fix it where ever ya gotta,....

You're making it sound too hard. You forgot to tell him that once the drive is pulled, the only things to unbolt are the engine mounts. Most everything comes out with it. And for wiring, it's basically just one big plug.

BigDog98

Chief Petty Officer
You're making it sound too hard. You forgot to tell him that once the drive is pulled, the only things to unbolt are the engine mounts. Most everything comes out with it. And for wiring, it's basically just one big plug.

I think i might pull the engine using my plan that i drew up. I will just pull it a few feet from the bilge and get under to work on it.