How is your Rapido engine doing? Reviews?

silvert

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Bought a boat that needs an engine. Looking to replace the 99 5.7 that's in there. Was originally thinking of building my own, but saw some of the prices out there, especially for rapido, and can't do it myself for that. Looks like they get decent reviews. The no core and fair shipping costs are definitely pluses .
How many out there have one of these engines? How many hours on it? Any issues? Did it have more power than the original?
Thanks!

Last edited:

silvert

Petty Officer 2nd Class
The gm one specifically says not for marine use. Not sure why. If I knew why and thought it was a bs reason, I'd use it in a heart beat. Rather have one bolted together by gm than some machine shop with mixed reviews.

Last edited:

alldodge

Staff member
The gm one specifically says not for marine use. Not sure why. If I knew why and thought it was a bs reason, I'd use it in a heart beat. Rather have one bolted together by gm than some machine shop with mixed reviews.

Unless your going to run it salt water I wouldn't worry about it. You do want a truck engine not one for a car (cam difference). Call your local GM dealer and ask them for a price. You can also google "new marine gm 350 crate motor", it comes back with all kinds of listings.

alldodge

Staff member
http://www.jegs.com/webapp/wcs/stor...1&productId=279706&storeId=10001&pgGrp=catNav

Free shipping too. Says not for marine use. I only go to lakes and rivers. Don't even live close to an ocean. ,

This is a reman engine. My guess the mention of "not for marine use" is do to emissions. You could call them and ask why they say it's non-marine

As before call your local GM dealer you may be surprised. Here is a couple new I found (assuming your looking for 1996 and newer), cost is a bit more
http://www.michiganmotorz.com/350ci-vortec-base-marine-engine-1996current-replacement-p-109.html
http://www.tristarengines.com/catalog/marine-oe-replacement/gm/5-7l.html

silvert

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Just talked to jegs about those. It can be used as a marine engine, just carries zero warranty. It is in fact built by gm. $2050 to my door, no core, no shipping, no tax. Looking good to me right now. May even upgrade the cam too.

silvert

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Talked to a buddy that works at a Chevy dealerships part department. He can't even touch jegs price for the same part number. That engine is the gm performance parts catalog .

alldodge

Staff member
Talked to a buddy that works at a Chevy dealerships part department. He can't even touch jegs price for the same part number. That engine is the gm performance parts catalog .

Sounds good, looks like you may have found your engine. Understand Jeggs is a reman and GM is new, but if your good, go for it.

Edit: look to see if the engine has brass freeze plugs, if not they are easy to replace and don't cost much

Last edited:

alldodge

Staff member
It's a reman from gm, if that makes a difference

Don't see it making a difference, just note there is no warranty, and if your OK with that then your good.

GM, Mercruiser, Joe mechanic down the street all can do good and bad rebuilds. My buddy had a reman engine from Merc, and he got 200 hours out of the engine before it spun a bearing. It would be out of warranty anyway at 200 hours, but the entire engine looks pristine except for one bearing journal, but that's all it takes. I'm currently having my engine rebuilt by a performance shop and even they can do something wrong.

Tail_Gunner

Admiral
Just talked to jegs about those. It can be used as a marine engine, just carries zero warranty. It is in fact built by gm. $2050 to my door, no core, no shipping, no tax. Looking good to me right now. May even upgrade the cam too.

That is correct there is zero difference between a production engine and marine engine other than brass soft plug's, marine dist, carb and altenator. There is however greater liability and that goes to the cost...its just business. Now if you were buying a high winding 502 you may get iconel valves...maybe.

Last edited:

silvert

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I'd love to build my own, but I have a cracked block and who knows about the heads. Cheapest core I can find is $250, 2 hours away. Plus at least $500 in machine work, at least $600 in parts, and thats not even getting into rebuilding the heads. I've built several 9 second (1/4 mile) Turbo Buick's, even got one of the best machine shops down the street (Bischoff Racing Engines aka BES). Just seems like for a boat, a $2k long block is the way to go, especially since it's not a max effort build going in a 100 mph boat lol

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner
JMS Jerrys Marine service has the best pricing I have found and order all my engines from them. They come complete long block just add electrical and intake and warranty as they are new engines.