Bravo III Reservoir Delete

agallant80

Commander
Some of you may remember last year my bilge was filled with gear lube. I went ahead and replaced the fitting that I think was leaking(22-861163 QUICK CONNECTOR) but if its not the fitting than its the Through transom fitting (22-861150T02 - FITTING ASSEMBLY) which from what I have been reading is a mother to replace. Replacing the Quick Connector was enough of a PITA for me.

My question is is if it is the through transom fitting that needs replacing can I just delete the Reservoir system? I don't know how I would do it, perhaps just as easy as take the drive off and snap off the fitting on the bell housing that pushes up against the ball in the bravo.

Is the lube system really necessary or is it just overweening. Did it ever solve a problem?

alldodge

Staff member
Some of you may remember last year my bilge was filled with gear lube. I went ahead and replaced the fitting that I think was leaking(22-861163 QUICK CONNECTOR) but if its not the fitting than its the Through transom fitting (22-861150T02 - FITTING ASSEMBLY) which from what I have been reading is a mother to replace. Replacing the Quick Connector was enough of a PITA for me.

My question is is if it is the through transom fitting that needs replacing can I just delete the Reservoir system? I don't know how I would do it, perhaps just as easy as take the drive off and snap off the fitting on the bell housing that pushes up against the ball in the bravo.

Is the lube system really necessary or is it just overweening. Did it ever solve a problem?

So the lube is dripping down the transom, right?
Also there is an O-ring on the male side (pic below), could you tell if it was there? Photo533.jpg

Edit: also did you check the other connector inline?

Last edited:

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner

It essentially solves the problem keeping the oil level at the right point all the time.

I wouldn't remove it. You need to fix the leak. There's thousands of Bravo drives out there that don't leak in the oil supply system.

agallant80

Commander
So the lube is dripping down the transom, right?
Also there is an O-ring on the male side (pic below), could you tell if it was there?

Edit: also did you check the other connector inline?

The lube was leaking on the inside of the transom into the bulge. I could see the lube on the rear of the engine.

alldodge

Staff member
The lube was leaking on the inside of the transom into the bulge. I could see the lube on the rear of the engine.

Being on the rear of the engine that would seam to me to be leaking from the line, bottle or other connector (items 15 and 16)

Bottle connector.png

alldodge

Staff member
Sorry spit balling here, but just had another thought, your boat is so new one would not think that the lube bottle could be clogged up. If the bottle was clogged and heat built up in the drive the expansion would push lube back up into the bottle. Have you disconnected the line to the bottle to see if lube will drain out easy?

agallant80

Commander
When I disconnected the line from the bottle it let lube out. I could see lube at the back of the bellhousing and an area where it pooled up right below the little quick connector that goes through the bellhouseing. Its too cold to fire it up on the muffs so I was just more so wondering if it was needed.

alldodge

Staff member
When I disconnected the line from the bottle it let lube out. I could see lube at the back of the bellhousing and an area where it pooled up right below the little quick connector that goes through the bellhouseing. Its too cold to fire it up on the muffs so I was just more so wondering if it was needed.

IMO you could get by without it, but I wouldn't do it. I'm sure the fix is easy, the problem is finding what is causing the leak. Like getting rid of an oil pressure or water temp sender/gauge, if all is good no problem