ngk or ac spark plugs?

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner
I use AC delco and have never really thought about buying Japanese plugs for my GM motors. I use Champion in all my small engines so I'm not sure what others have against them?
Yeah.........but truth be known, they're probably all made in china.....

//

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
Yeah.........but truth be known, they're probably all made in china.....

Yeah maybe but the last ones I bought were made in Delco's Mexico parts plant. I'm not against trying out NGK if they're better quality than AC, I just never considered trying them is all.

Tail_Gunner

Admiral
In small engines Chumps are fine, but in larger multi cylinder engines, there are more trouble than they're worth...

Bingo back in the what late 70's eailer 80's i worked in the old man's shop....anyone putting champs in a Gm engine would take a trip to the back of the dealership so to speak until one day the old boy told the part's salesman to take his plug's and never come back...Seem's a bit odd but it was a lesson i will never forget...40 yrs and counting.....Ohh and deluxe champs's back then.

Last edited:

gm280

Supreme Mariner
I have never ever had any bad experiences with any brand of spark plug...ever. And I can say that I've used so many different brands as well. The only way I would object any plug brand is if there was a extremely great technically oriented test to prove beyond and doubt that one brand was inferior. People's stories are just that. Not one of us knows anything more then those stories. We have no idea of any other circumstances and merely "I don't like this brand because it caused this and that" is only that person's opinion and not any scientific fact... So whatever plug is available, is a good plug... I have to have verifiable proof of why somebody deems anything bad, and not just merely hear say! Too many possible issues out of control to solely bank on such stories. JMHO!

achris

More fish than mountain goat
I have never ever had any bad experiences with any brand of spark plug...ever. And I can say that I've used so many different brands as well. The only way I would object any plug brand is if there was a extremely great technically oriented test to prove beyond and doubt that one brand was inferior. People's stories are just that. Not one of us knows anything more then those stories. We have no idea of any other circumstances and merely "I don't like this brand because it caused this and that" is only that person's opinion and not any scientific fact... So whatever plug is available, is a good plug... I have to have verifiable proof of why somebody deems anything bad, and not just merely hear say! Too many possible issues out of control to solely bank on such stories. JMHO!

Oh really?

So, NGKs out and Champions in, engine runs like crap. Old NGKs back in, engine run perfectly isn't scientific enough for you? And not just once, twice.... I didn't let it happen a third time!

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
I know you didn't agree with DonS much but he had tons of stories about Champion plugs being problems. Of course he was only a certified Volvo mechanic.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Come on now guys. If I posted my story about anything I disliked, would YOU stop using that product because of what experiences I posted? I've used Champions back in my hot-rodding days and never experienced any problems. In fact everybody used Champions at that time. That's all I can say. If YOU had a bad experience then you have to do what YOU think is best. But others may run them forever and not have one issue. That's all I am saying. I won't expect anybody to use or stop using any product because of my opinions and experiences. That would be totally silly. And I'd hope you all would do the same. That IS why there are so many different manufacturers of everything. Different folks like different products. But that doesn't mean everybody doesn't like those things or that company would be gone by now... Sorry if you took my post any other way. I just post my life experiences like each one of you do. Not arguing, just saying! As a matter of fact, my Mercury 115HP inline six engine came with Champion surface gap plugs and I never changed them in all the years I had it... JMHO!

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
Come on now guys. If I posted my story about anything I disliked, would YOU stop using that product because of what experiences I posted?

My sentiments exactly. I've learned a lot reading this forum. Not just about plugs. There are things I've sworn by all these years, only to find out they were no good after reading it here.

One thing for sure though...anything Ford and any towerofpower is still crap......LOL.

WIMUSKY

Staff member
After reading thru this thread, I've come to the conclusion the OP needs to make his own decision what plugs to use. Just like what oil, bunks vs rollers, stainless vs aluminum, Ford vs Chevy vs Toyota vs Ram, etc Topics. Of course we all know it's RAM......... :laugh:

Tail_Gunner

Admiral
After reading thru this thread, I've come to the conclusion the OP needs to make his own decision what plugs to use. Just like what oil, bunks vs rollers, stainless vs aluminum, Ford vs Chevy vs Toyota vs Ram, etc Topics. Of course we all know it's RAM......... :laugh:

Ohh no you dont....:fencing:

aerobat

Master Chief Petty Officer
the NGK will tend to improve holeshot and midrange torque where the AC will give you a better top end . you have to decide ...

before somebody kicks in : i,m kompletely kidding, use whatever you want, both should be trouble free ;-)

UncleWillie

Captain
...If you want 'Facts', I've used champions in 2 different engines, one in-line 6, the other a V8. I pulled different plugs out during a service and put those things in. I think one set was KLG (anybody remember those? :D ) and the other might have been NGKs. Anyway, immediately the engines developed high speed missing. Checked everything... Eventually pulled the champions out and put the originals back in, missing gone! Never a champion spark plug will cross these hands again....
Chris....

That is a perfect example of Anecdotal Evidence! :)

Fun Times

Staff member
the NGK will tend to improve holeshot and midrange torque where the AC will give you a better top end . you have to decide ..
^^^ Lol, good one.:) < Also by defect :heh:, using champions would tend to help with lowering engine idle speeds in turn helping fisherman troll at slower speeds to catch more :fish2:.:D :fish: J/K.:)

Last edited: