ngk or ac spark plugs?

betayv

Senior Chief Petty Officer
hi guys 1987 350 engine, 4 barrel carb what spark plugs should I install on the engine some manuals calls for mr43t, or ngk 4323?, any recommendation.

achris

More fish than mountain goat
I can't buy AC plugs in Australia, so the NGKs are what I've used for over 30 years... Never had a problem...

thumpar

Admiral
Never had a problem with NGK but I usually go AC for domestic and NGK for imports. Just don't go Champion and you should be fine.

Fishermark

Vice Admiral
I've used both - either will work well. I personally use AC anymore. But that is simply a matter of personal preference.

wrestling coach

Petty Officer 1st Class
I use NGK in both a 90hp, 2 stroke, oil injected Johnson and a Merc 470. Both boats spend a lot of time at low RPM trolling and run smooth a steady and don't foul up. I think they are the best for my use.

Dennis

Last edited:

keith2k455

Chief Petty Officer
LOL....this is like asking what brand of oil. I think if you keep em changed regularly, you'll be fine.

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,.... I like the AC Delco's 'cause of the ally body, over a plated steel body, less chance of rust in,...

Not that, that's a problem in freshwater, 'n they're changed every 5 years or so,....

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
I use AC delco and have never really thought about buying Japanese plugs for my GM motors. I use Champion in all my small engines so I'm not sure what others have against them?

achris

I use AC delco and have never really thought about buying Japanese plugs for my GM motors. I use Champion in all my small engines so I'm not sure what others have against them?

In small engines Chumps are fine, but in larger multi cylinder engines, there are more trouble than they're worth...

achris

Yep. You are not not relying on a small engine to get you home.

Depends :D The boats I'm on when I'm working have engines measured in mega-watts! Makes my 'big' V6 look positively minute!

WIMUSKY

Staff member
As far as the original ?, either/or. I'm not a fan of Champions either...

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
Great Grandpa said never buy a Ford and always buy Champions (among other things). He was never wrong.

In the past 51 years of owning cars, boats, etc. I have never used anything but a CH spark plug. Well, except for a rice burner that came with NGKs.

That said, I have never had a spark plug related problem. All the comments here so far have been anecdotal, with no specific facts.

achris

...That said, I have never had a spark plug related problem. All the comments here so far have been anecdotal, with no specific facts.

Have a read through the archives and see what DonS had to say about champion plugs....

If you want 'facts', I've used champions in 2 different engines, one in-line 6, the other a V8. I pulled different plugs out during a service and put those things in. I think one set was KLG (anybody remember those? :D ) and the other might have been NGKs. Anyway, immediately the engines developed high speed missing. Checked everything... Eventually pulled the champions out and put the originals back in, missing gone! Never a champion spark plug will cross these hands again....

Chris....

keith2k455

Chief Petty Officer
I am 100% NOT spark plug brand loyal. In my hot rod days it was either champion or delco. I never touched an ngk until I got jetskis and used them cause they were cheap. I really don't think it makes much difference as long as they are the correct heat range for the application and gapped appropriately.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
Have a read through the archives and see what DonS had to say about champion plugs....

If you want 'facts', I've used champions in 2 different engines, one in-line 6, the other a V8. I pulled different plugs out during a service and put those things in. I think one set was KLG (anybody remember those? :D ) and the other might have been NGKs. Anyway, immediately the engines developed high speed missing. Checked everything... Eventually pulled the champions out and put the originals back in, missing gone! Never a champion spark plug will cross these hands again....

Chris....

I'm sure every company makes a bad part now and then. However, bad companies eventually go under. The consumer decides who stays in business.

Nevertheless, I'll bite...

Once I was given a Ford - almost new but what a piece of crap. Years later I bought a Ford - a top-of-the-line model as a matter of fact. It was crap too. Traded them both on a bottom of the line Chevy. What an awesome car. Never will a Ford adorn my lovely garage again!

achris

I have the same feelings about my Landcruiser. But for what I need, as bad as the LC is...... it does the job :facepalm:

Just remember, being "the best" doesn't make something good, it just makes it better than the rest....

As far as the spark plugs go, mine is not a unique experience. As I suggested, do a search and read what DonS, Bondo and quite a few other VERY experienced mechanics have to say about champion....

Chad Flaugher

Petty Officer 1st Class
Truth be told, I've never had a spark plug problem in my life! I just grew up being told that Pennzoil engine oil is bad, and Champion plugs suck. Still believe Pennzoil causes excessive carbon deposits, but all my equipment runs champion plugs and never had a problem. (Still won't put 'em in my vehicles or boat though) :)