need to flush power steering system.

acdc96

Chief Petty Officer
while winterizing my 87 Mercruiser 260hp V8 with a gen1 alpha, when checking all the fluid levels I noticed the power steering fluid was a pink color [almost like pepto bismol]. obviously water was mixed in with the ATF Fluid from when the power steering cooler leaked. i fixed the cooler during the summer. im 99.99% sure the cooler is not leaking. i think their was was water in the system still when i fixed the cooler. this coming spring i want finish the boat and register it and launch it.
how would i go about flushing the power steering system?

[run the engine and disconnect the return line and stick it in a bottle and pour ATF Fluid into the resivor until fluid is a translusent red?]

*Note: no work will be done on my boat until mid march or april due to the cold temps in my area [currently 17 deg F and dropping below 0 at night]*
im just looking how to do it come spring time.
any other info needed i will post if asked.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Get a suction pump and pump out the fluid in the reservoir first. Fill it up with clean and then do the procedure with the return line.

Bondo

Staff member
while winterizing my 87 Mercruiser 260hp V8 with a gen1 alpha, when checking all the fluid levels I noticed the power steering fluid was a pink color [almost like pepto bismol]. obviously water was mixed in with the ATF Fluid from when the power steering cooler leaked. i fixed the cooler during the summer. im 99.99% sure the cooler is not leaking. i think their was was water in the system still when i fixed the cooler. this coming spring i want finish the boat and register it and launch it.
how would i go about flushing the power steering system?

[run the engine and disconnect the return line and stick it in a bottle and pour ATF Fluid into the resivor until fluid is a translusent red?]

*Note: no work will be done on my boat until mid march or april due to the cold temps in my area [currently 17 deg F and dropping below 0 at night]*
im just looking how to do it come spring time.
any other info needed i will post if asked.

Ayuh,.... That's exactly as I have done, with Great success,...

acdc96

Chief Petty Officer
That's a relief I thought it was going to be more involved and tearing down the system. Going to need a extra hand to turn the steering wheel to get the fluid moving out of the lines.
Thanks for the advise!!!