​Maximizing Engine Life

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
Here's an article I thought was interesting with some very useful information. Thought I would pass it along.

Maximizing Engine Life
In addition to keeping the oil changed and all the other maintenance tasks up to date, there is another major factor in engine life: The RPMs that you use for continuous operation, where “continuous” is defined as operating for over one minute.

Assuming that the engine reaches the specified MAX RPM range, then the maximum RPMs for continuous operation should not exceed 80% of the actual maximum RPMs your boat achieves. For example, an engine with a specified 4400 to 4800 MAX RPMs range that maxes out at 4600 RPMs should have a maximum continuous operating RPMs of 80% of 4600 RPMs or 3680 RPMs. Dropping to 75% (3450) will increase engine life even further. Engines operated continuously at wide open RPMs typically exhibit engine life in the very low hundreds of hours. Engines operated at 80% or lower, especially fresh water cooled with 160-165 degree thermostat often exhibit life in the thousands of hours. Over propped engines, i.e., those that do not reach or exceed the lower end of the specified operating range, often have much shortened engine life even if run at 75 to 80% of maximum observed RPMS, with burnt exhaust valves being the usual failure mode.

Of course, it is entirely appropriate for you to run your engine wide open if you need to get out of a dangerous situation. Additionally, it is prudent to run your engine wide open several times a season as a “health check”. These run times should only be long enough to verify RPMs, oil pressure and water temp and smooth operation (no misfires), typically less than 30 seconds.

Last edited:

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
if you read between the lines, the proper answer is run your boat with the proper prop for the load you are running. make sure your boat is at proper operating temp.

time at RPM is not as important to loading at RPM, and ensuring that your block is warmer than 160F. there is a B10 life curve for motor life vs operating temp. for every degree the motor is operated under its ideal temperature, the wear is exponential. as the operating temperature drops below 140, the wear is significantly worse.

too much load, and you wear your motor quckly, too little temp and you wear your motor quickly. Running at WOT RPM at proper temps with moderate loading is actually quite good for a motors longevity. just think of all those diesel gensets running at 80-90% load at WOT for their entire life.

I wont even get into oil effectivity and temperature breakdown, or the fact that if oil doesnt reach temps above 210, the water vapor from combusiton and condensation do not get boiled off.

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,.... Most of our boats run on-plane, 'n reasonably efficiently at 3200 to 3400 rpms,....

Conditions allowin', that's a comfortable speed to make good time, 'n get somewhere,...
Our motors are Happy,...

For flat out Gettin' It, I'll hold 4400/ 4600 rpms for a few minutes, not hours,....
4800/ 4900 rpms is 'bout all she's got,...

How 'bout I move this to the Non-repair forum,... ;)

thumpar

Admiral
I will usually run at WOT (4600 loaded up) for about 5-10 minutes a couple times a trip. The lake I normally use it 25 miles long and I go all the way down most of the time. My cruise is where Bondo stated.

Chad Flaugher

Petty Officer 1st Class
It's always nice to see an article that is complete agreement with my theory. Thanks for sharing!

Tail_Gunner

Admiral
Iam very much in agreement with Scott, temp and load play a huge role in wear and with today's syn oils god only knows if they wear at high rpm... Even the automotive engineers don't know but they keep raising the oil change intervals its up to about 7500 these days. One thing that bores the hell out of me is the air filtration system due to marine spark stds. I truly believe that is the weakest and most damaging thing that exists on a boat engine. Dust and pollen do not not see a body of water as a force shield. Trust me there and the volume of air a motor pulls would stagger your mind.

Last edited:

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Guys, remember most people murder their boat motors due to neglect or other circumstances - overheating from an impeller long past its maintenance date, water ingestion from a failed riser or riser gasket, detonation from improper ignition maintenance or crappy fuel, forgot the plug and sunk the boat, let it sit out in the elements for years with the cover off and the plug in...... and on and on.

The other end of the spectrum is that a boat is meticulously maintained and owned by someone who frequently trades up, so wear isnt a factor there.

The rest of us are getting 30+ years out of the motors with the non-existant air filtration while driving the boat like we stole it

rarely do motors actually wear out from use.

as a side note: When I worked for an outdoor power equipment manufacturer, we had a fleet of equipment that was specifically used without maintenance of any kind. The original oil was never changed, the air filters never touched, and neither was the spark plug. The hydraulic oil never change, belts never changed, and nothing greased. the average life was 600 hours, or 8 years. Not bad for a piece of equipment that is designed to a 250hour life. The flip side is a fleet of equipment that had the maintenance done religiously. the average life was about 800 for consumer products and 3300 for commercial.

Eventually everything fails.

moral of the miscellaneous ramblings is simple: maintenance, proper operating temperature and setup, then simply go boating.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
I have never ran a filter on any of my engines and do not plan to.

Watermann

I can see the filter being a benefit to the schlub who never cleans or vacuums out his boat and has all sorts of nasty crud swirling about while under way since everything gets blown backwards in the boat.

I won't be dropping a Benjamin on a filter either but surely won't knock a guy who does, it can't hurt.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Most of the air is likely coming in the vents on the side of the boat so even schlubs don't need them! :)

Tail_Gunner

Admiral
Well ok on to oil filter's and all those micron's what up with that........:ranger:..................:spy:

Tail_Gunner

Admiral
Just a old plain Jane spark arrestor...its getting a bit boring just thought id stir it up a bit....Now to WIX or not to WIX that is the question....

Watermann

Just a old plain Jane spark arrestor...its getting a bit boring just thought id stir it up a bit....Now to WIX or not to WIX that is the question....

Well start up a thread with some heat and we'll jump all over it ... :flame:

Watermann

Thanks Bruce, it sure was a fun ride with a great bunch of iboaters that came along.