oil changers that last

wrench 3

Commander
I've been using an old engine oil pump that I drive with a cordless drill. Welded a couple of fittings onto it for the hoses. It's been working for about twenty years or so, and I do quite a few boats each year.

achris

More fish than mountain goat
Get yourself a vacuum oil changer... Those little electric pumps aren't much chop most of the time...

tpenfield

Staff member
I made my own system out of a homer bucket from HD, some tubing and a shop vac. . . Pre-heating the oil by running the engine helps too.

I could never get one of those oil pumps to last very long . . . One use, like you say.

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
I use the vacuumed one as well,use it daily all summer for 5 years now. Always works! The only thing I changed was the suction hose,as the ones that come with mine were way to stiff. I still use them when I need to but most of the time I hook to the top of the dipstick tube and it all comes out. If by chance ya overfill the oil,ya just stick the suction tube down the tube to the same level as the full mark on the dipstick,suck out till she gurgles,done!

achris

More fish than mountain goat
I use the vacuumed one as well,use it daily all summer for 5 years now. Always works! The only thing I changed was the suction hose,as the ones that come with mine were way to stiff. I still use them when I need to but most of the time I hook to the top of the dipstick tube and it all comes out. If by chance ya overfill the oil,ya just stick the suction tube down the tube to the same level as the full mark on the dipstick,suck out till she gurgles,done!

Been there, done that... :facepalm:

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
I have the Topsider, for 12 years worth and it works well. I rigged up a garden hose adaptor for it and it pumps the oil out much faster. I also use it to change oil in the diffs on the Jeeps without making a mess (suck it all out before removing the cover) same with the auto trans pan.
Great tool.

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner
I have a Moeller vac pump that just keeps working on everything I use it for....

I also recently bought one of these off eBay.........

http://www.intlairtool.com/Products...-Non-Metallic-Diaphragm-Pumps/PD05P-ARS-PCC-B

It will "suck the chrome right off your trailer hitch":
PD05P-ARS-PAA-B_DiaphragmPump_p001_l.jpg

crazy charlie

Vice Admiral
I had that hand pump,as a matter of fact I still do have it.Been hanging in my garage for years since I switched to vacuum style.The only thing I liked about the hand pump is that I had huge forearms and biceps the season that I used it.Worked up a pretty good sweat too.Not the best choice if you don't like being sore the next day after using it..I save that for the gym.Charlie