Power Steering pump - bolt at bracket?

JerseyBoater

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Hi all,

I'm missing a bolt at the front of my power steering pump to the bracket. I don't have access to the boat at the moment, so I wondered if anyone knows if I can get the bolt in without removing the pulley?

On the marine engine website, here: http://www.*****************/parts/me...-pump-assembly it is bolt number 15: M10 X 20

Please see the picture attached of the location of the missing bolt.

It's a Mercruiser 3.0L, 0W601238, and I really don't want to have to remove the pulley!

EDIT: Could I put the bolt into the bracket a little bit, then angle the pulley/PS pump over it to install?

Thanks

fetch

Attachments

• PSBracket.jpg
    PSBracket.jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 3
Last edited by a moderator:

Fun Times

Staff member
I think the groove on the pulley might be in the way to go straight in but you might be able to finagle the bolt in there as I've done similar on other engine models...But not yours though.

If not, you might be able to loosen the bracket, put the bolts in the bracket holes, set back into position then tighten.

Here's the actual bolt,
mi71wFRFwcjCaSmBQ5gpB4g.jpg

If the boat is far away from you, you should prepare to remove the pulley....that way when you get there, you won't have to remove the pulley.:D
Let us know how it goes, good luck.:)

Last edited:

JerseyBoater

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Thanks that sounds good, I'll let you guys know how it goes, hopefully in about 2 weeks time.

Pulling the pulley will be a nightmare... its a bit rusted! I'll trim the bolt down a bit before I attempted that :)

Blue Mist 97

Seaman Apprentice
Don't mean to sound sophomoric, but have you tried loosening the belt adjustment bolts and sliding the entire unit to the end of the adjustment bracket? It might move more one way or the other if you pull that bolt completely out. Maybe the bracket in question will be clear enough to put the bolt in. Just a thought.

JerseyBoater

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Hi all,

Just to let you know, and anyone else who had this problem...

It can be done! I took the whole PS pump and reservoir off, as I needed to swap out the bracket for a new one anyway. Then put the bolt mostly into the bracket and put the pulley over it. Once the unit is lined up you actually have enough room to get a spanner in there to tighten it up. If you use a slightly shorter bolt you can probably angle it in like Blue Mist said.

Thanks