1997 Manta Ray 179

I am looking to purchase a 1997 Manta Ray 179 with a Mercruiser Alpha One 3.0 LX from a local boat mechanic and he has be up front and honest about this boat from the beginning. We went to look at the boat on Friday last week and he says that there was a noise/vibration that he wasn't conformable with so he pulled the engine and took it to a local machine shop to have the engine looked at... he says in his opinion it doesn't seem like to much to worry about but there was metal shavings in the oil pan when he pulled the engine...

I guess my question is should we still look to purchase this boat if he gets the engine back from being repaired and go with it or should I walk away from this deal completely?

Thanks
Chris

thumpar

Admiral
Sounds strange to me. I would want an independent opinion and more info.

I never hear what the noise or vibration sounded like so I cant say either way... I just wish I knew more about it you know...

ziggy

Admiral
from a local boat mechanic and he has be up front and honest about this boat from the beginning
imho, generally speaking, i wouldn't believe a seller w/o conformation of whats being said. sellers do have motivation to lie. they want to sell their boat. also, if he's 'the boat mechanic' why did he take it to a machine shop to find the vibration? vibrations in boats are not necessarily confined to the engine. if he's the mechanic, why didn't he go find the vibration.
he says in his opinion it doesn't seem like to much to worry about but there was metal shavings in the oil pan when he pulled the engine...
while, i'm not a mechanic, the only time i've heard of metal shavings in the pan that are not to be concerned about might be after a full rebuild of the engine and then only after it's first run in prior to install. if it's just a engine that's been used and pulled of of the boat, i'd be concerned about that. so what did the machine shop do?
he pulled the engine and took it to a local machine shop to have the engine looked at.
it sounds like they looked at it and discovered metal shavings. what was done to find out where the metal shavings came from. what parts were replaced that the metal shavings came from?
imho, this sounds a little shady to me.
if it's a great boat, ya can always buy it with the understanding ya might be replacing the engine. offer a low enough price to cover the engine replacement.

Thank you for the great info... All if this just happened over the past weekend so he didn't get it to the machine shop till yesterday and I have not heard anything as of yet about it... I will keep you posted

Maclin

Admiral
Was this his boat? Or is he trying to flip it or resell it for lack pf payments to him or similar situation? The reason I ask is because removing the engine is usually not the first thing done for a vibration diagnostic. Seems to me like he suspected the engine already before you came into the picture. That is ok if his diagnostics are accurate. Just realize that a non-running boat with no sea trial is worth next to nothing.

Last edited:
We got word back from the seller/ mechanic that it was not the lower part of the engine like he suspected it was the exhaust manufold vibrating and causing the metal shavings in the oil pan... besides that the engine is in perfect condition according to the engine diagnostic

Tnstratofam

Commander
I do not believe the seller/mechanic is telling you the whole story. I have never heard of an exhaust manifold vibration causing metal in an oil pan. I have a feeling you may be about to buy a world of trouble with this boat. I would pass on this boat, and look for a different boat/seller/mechanic. Remember once you pull out of his place with that boat you not only own it, but also all the problems with that engine/out drive he's hiding. I could be totally wrong, but I just don't think I am. More qualified people will chime in soon I'm sure. One last suggestion. Get it checked out by an independent mechanic not affiliated with this seller if you are sure you want to buy this boat.

thumpar

Admiral
We got word back from the seller/ mechanic that it was not the lower part of the engine like he suspected it was the exhaust manufold vibrating and causing the metal shavings in the oil pan... besides that the engine is in perfect condition according to the engine diagnostic
That makes no sense at all. Exhaust manifolds have no moving parts to vibrate and if metal was to come off it would either be flushed out the exhaust or fall out externally. He is blowing smoke. RUN fast!!!

Maclin

Admiral
Tnstratofam and Thumpar summed it up. the explanation is way off. My feelings are you will never get the straight up truth on that deal, best to pass unless YOU are a better boat and engine mechanic than the ones you are dealing with. The best boat purchase sometimes is the one you DID NOT buy...

Well I was wrong on my explaination if twhat was wrong with the engine I talked to him again today about it and it wasn't the exhaust manifold... It's the cam lobe and he is putting a new cam in the engine and we are going from there...

Now my question to yall is should I go through a break in period with a new cam in the engine or since that is he only thing new we should be ok without going through a break in period?

Thanks again for all the help

Maclin

Admiral
Hopefully new lifters along with the new cam. There should be a break-in period, Need to follow what the engine builder recommends as they would be the warrantor if it goes bad.

Yes new lifters will also be installed... And I will follow the break in instructions according to the murcruiser manual

Now should I take this engine through a break in period and if so after the first say 10 hours of the engine running should I then drain the oil and put fresh oil in and change the oil filter and then go from there?

Volphin

Lieutenant
There is no reason to break in a cam. It either works or it doesn't. Don and I had the same opinion regarding engines... take them out and run them as normal. Change the oil after 10 hrs.

Maclin

Admiral
Flat hydraulic tappets need to be be broken in by not letting the engine idle slow (prevents galling) for a while and running at different rpm's for about 20 minutes, my opinion. Roller tappets are good to go but I think this is a flat tappet engine. As far as whole engine breakin after the cam has been wrung out is debateable I will agree.

All of this is beginning to feel like a test of some kind.

Maclin

Admiral
BTW changing the oil soon after initial running is needed, among other reasons, to get rid of the moly lube that was used during cam and lifter installation.

So I'm gonna go get the boat tomorrow after he has installed the engine and see the engine running and check the gears to insure they are in working order... I was gonna have him go ahead and winterized the engine since im not going to be placing the boat in the water any time soon for use cause of the cold weather here... Will this be ok or should I run the engine for a bit before winterizing?