Homemade outdrive jack

I wanted to show off the stand I built after looking at other ideas and products. I took the bottom of an engine stand I use from time to time and mounted 4 pneumatic tire/caster assemblies I bought from Harbor Freight. I used rubber tires because I have needed this type of jack down at the marina and I wanted to make a jack that could roll easily both on gravel or smooth pavement. I mounted them on the opposite side so that I could still use the base as an engine stand. I bolted on a 2K jack I bought from Tractor Supply and removed the rotating assembly. Next I took 1x2 rectangular mild tubing and welded 2 pieces together for a 4" wide base and bolted it to the jack. From those pieces I welded on two 1x2x34" arms and reinforced them with 3/4" box tubing for extra strength. Its a rock solid jack that will save my back from ever having to lift off another Bravo I/O.

P1115965c.jpg

Attachments

• P1115965c.jpg
    P1115965c.jpg
    74.1 KB · Views: 3

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Great to see innovation when unique needs come about. The only issue I see is those pneumatic wheels/tires. I had what looks like that exact same wheels/tires on my home built boat stand to be able to move around the hull as I grinded it and rebuild it back. But one of those wheel/tires would constantly leak and go flat and then I had to pump it back up to use it for a little while and then flat again. Actually all of them had slow leaks as well. So I decided to take it off and see what the problem was. Sadly the tube used inside was cut about 2" to 3" inches long. So much for a repair. So I thought no problem I'll just buy another tube....yea right! If you can find a tube, the price is way more then the entire wheel/tire cost. So off with those things and I replaced with solid rubber replacements... The only other issue I see, could be the amount of force at the welded connection points at the jack side of the setup. Cantilevered bars stuck out like that compound the force at that junction. But if it works for your needs, that isn't an issues after all. Great to see others make things to assist them with their problems... Good job... :thumb: :thumb:

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Here is mine. I didn't put in the braces like you did. I think they would actually hit my drive if I had them. Have you actually used your jack yet?

IMG_0729.JPG

Last edited:
No Title

Hey Guys,

Thanks for the positive comments. I was waiting for warmer weather to try it out and I can tell you its a wonderful tool. After I removed the props it slid right into place. I unbolted the drive and gently rocked it back and forth, and it slid out so smoothly, and my back side felt GREAT :) . The only thing I had to fight were the 4 casters. I had to get them lined up in the same direction manually so it would roll easily. I might replace the two closest to the trailer with 2 fixed tires. As you can see its fully supported.

BruceB58, I like your jack too. I'd seen others on the web that were similar. However I felt the two forks alone weren't enough to hold the drive safely. So I added those lower supports. They have plenty of room because they are on the same 4" spread as the forks. Have you used yours?

I plan on painting it and adding a vinyl garage door seal to the forks to act as a slider/pad.

Attachments

• photo214377.jpg
    photo214377.jpg
    113.5 KB · Views: 2
  • photo214378.jpg
    photo214378.jpg
    138.7 KB · Views: 2
  • photo214379.jpg
    photo214379.jpg
    139.9 KB · Views: 2

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Not a problem at all. I used very thick material for those forks though...1/8" wall thickness. I use it with my Volvo Duo-Prop which is a heavy drive,

I have thick rubber strips on the top of mine which I got from McMaster-Carr

Last edited:

camalot

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I modified a lawn mower lift from Princess Auto, it was on sale for $80. Just cut the part off that went under the mower and welded my two long arms on for the drive.