New to I/O's, request info

Slayer315

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Hi all. I have been here on iboats forums for a few years now and have gained a wealth of knowledge. I'm now looking to move from a 16' Bayliner with 90 hp Force on to a 18 to 20 ski boat with I/O. Not a lot of experience in I/O's, so I'm requesting a little help. I have tried searching the forums, but not sure what to ask or how to phrase. If this is the wrong place, I apologize, please lead me in the right direction. Thanks in advance.

I am looking for something that can handle at least 8. I also need to be able to pull a 220 pounder out of the water quickly. Any more info I can give please ask.

4.3 and/ or 5.0- can a 4.3 handle what I am asking? Is fuel efficiency much different between the 2? Is there a particular make to look for , stay away from?

Carbureted vs fuel injection- one better than the other? Is there certain years that have each? Fuel economy better one way or the other? Either one more reliable?

Out drive and prop- anything particular that I should look for, or stay away from? Any particular make/ model?

Again thanks for any help.

airshot

Rear Admiral
Whew....you are asking an awfull lot. Definitely stay Mercruiser as parts are far more plentifull, if you budget allows newer boats within the last 5 years should have fuel injection before that carbs. Not an accurate date but in general, As far as which engine can handle what....it depends on what boat it is in...also if you have 8 people in your boat then that changes everything. Keep your search going and don't be afraid to ask, we like talking about our boats!! When you see someone posting a question about a type of boat you might be interested in, chime in and ask about how there boat handles certain things and how much power they have or need. No way can we answer all the things you want to know but I do know the good people on here will die trying..

Tnstratofam

Commander
+1 on Mercruiser for the drivetrain. More parts available, and more mechanics to work on them. 8 people in a skiboat or bow rider is crowded in anything below 22 feet in my opinion. Obviously more people and gear in the boat will make performance as well as fuel economy fall off quickly. For that many people a v8 may be better, but a v6 in the right boat could do the trick. How often will there be 8 people, and are they all adults or are some children of smaller size?

alldodge

Staff member
Hi all. I have been here on iboats forums for a few years now and have gained a wealth of knowledge. I'm now looking to move from a 16' Bayliner with 90 hp Force on to a 18 to 20 ski boat with I/O. Not a lot of experience in I/O's, so I'm requesting a little help. I have tried searching the forums, but not sure what to ask or how to phrase. If this is the wrong place, I apologize, please lead me in the right direction. Thanks in advance.

I am looking for something that can handle at least 8. I also need to be able to pull a 220 pounder out of the water quickly. Any more info I can give please ask.
Eight folks even if some are kids is a larger boat. Look at the 22 foot bow rider or larger. Going to need a big block for torque and a bravo 3 drive will help. I have a 23 foot Rinker with a bravo 1 with a 454 BB. Mine is a cuddy and 8 folks can sit and I've done so while pulling skiers but it's cramped. Also say that when your skiing 1 to 2 folks are in the water. The B3 would pull the load out of the water faster then the B1.

You could also go with a pontoon with an I/O which doesn't have the same top end but could pull skiers OK

4.3 and/ or 5.0- can a 4.3 handle what I am asking? Is fuel efficiency much different between the 2? Is there a particular make to look for , stay away from?
You will need at least a 5.7 so I would suggest not even think about smaller engines, BB IMO is best. Now if you get something with twin engines that's another story, but don't think your going that route. Need to almost forget fuel efficiency with a boat and that amount of weight. Your lucky if you can get two miles to the gallon on plane, and less skiing

Carbureted vs fuel injection- one better than the other? Is there certain years that have each? Fuel economy better one way or the other? Either one more reliable?
Don't want to get into a full blown carb/EFI discussion but I'll say this; I like EFI over carbs for quick starts and throttle response. Carbs are easier to work on and don't need much in tools and expertise then EFI.

Out drive and prop- anything particular that I should look for, or stay away from? Any particular make/ model?

Again thanks for any help.

I'm leery of the 496 (8,1L) engines because of all the issues that have come up with them here on iboats. It may just be what I've noticed and not real world, as before just my opinion. Another thing I would stay away from is what is called the crab cap (or crap cap). These caps have had a lot of issues over the years. They run great until they don't and there is no warning when they go. Also looking at the cap you cannot find an issue with upon inspection.

acf-d329a_w.jpg

Good luck

keith2k455

Chief Petty Officer
Since you are moving up, I assume you have an opinion on size and that will be hard to sway. The first question I would ask is if this will be stored in your garage or not. Standard door height is 7' so that will eliminate anything over 22' and some 22 footers.

One thing to think about in size is seating configuration. I wanted sport seating and a walk through transom because we thought it'd be easier to teach our toddlers boat rules. I think sport seating gives more room than back to back and I like it better for family interaction. The walk through might cost me some room, but that's also where I put coolers and extra gear.

On power, if you're concerned go bigger. No v6, period. I have a 5.0 with stainless prop and it gets up pretty good and will do 50 mph. Not sure how it would pull a skier up yet, but I guess a different prop could fix that. My Crownline is a little heavy and 21.5 feet long but I cruise for about 4 or 5 hrs at a time and have never used more than 15 gallons per outing.

Mine is rated for 10 persons, I've had 6 with two of them being a 2yo and a 5yo. I don't think kids take less room and I think 10 would be fine on my boat.

Good luck. It never hurts to talk about what you find either. I don't think you'll be short on opinions, but remember all of our opinions are biased.

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner
I am looking for something that can handle at least 8. I also need to be able to pull a 220 pounder out of the water quickly..

Howdy,

I am gonna agree with those above that suggest a BB (454/496) + Bravo III

8 people AND pulling a skier is a pretty tall order. You plug 8 people in a 21 boat with only a V-6 or low HP V-8 and stick a 220lb'er out the back and you might not get it up to a plane at all!

I get approx. 10gal/hr at 3000 RPM (and 30mph) with my 454/Bravo III in my 21' 1987 Four Winns Liberator

That's 3mpg which is respectable for any BB powered boat. The fuel flow goes up dramatically above that but 30 mph is a nice comfortable cruising speed in "medium" water......

I can also pull anyone/anything out of the water with that Bravo III (if they can hold on!)

Cheers,

Rick

cnotecherry

Seaman
what I always tell people when they ask about fuel economy is you dont use fuel to the size of the motor you use fuel to the size and weight of your boat if you have a v6 and a BB v8 in 20ft boat the v6 will be at full throttle and high rpms working way harder and using just as much fuel as the BB at 1/4 throttle not working hard at all and low rpms also your motor will last way longer I have never heard anyone complain about having to much power in a boat cruising at 30mph at 2500rpms is much quiter than 4600rpms and a lot easier on the motor every boat I have bought I end up putting a bigger motor in it after a year and wish I would have just bought something with a bigger motor to begin with

thumpar

Admiral
Whew....you are asking an awfull lot. Definitely stay Mercruiser as parts are far more plentifull, if you budget allows newer boats within the last 5 years should have fuel injection before that carbs. Not an accurate date but in general, As far as which engine can handle what....it depends on what boat it is in...also if you have 8 people in your boat then that changes everything. Keep your search going and don't be afraid to ask, we like talking about our boats!! When you see someone posting a question about a type of boat you might be interested in, chime in and ask about how there boat handles certain things and how much power they have or need. No way can we answer all the things you want to know but I do know the good people on here will die trying..
My 1996 has fuel injection.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
My boat is 24' from nose to transom with a warmed over 5.7 and a VP duo prop drive. if I want to ski with 8 people on board, I have to change props, or the poor guy on skis will be sucking water for a while while the boat struggles to come on plane. I also vote big block, or at a minium a stroked small block.

and 8 people in the boat is a bit cramped.

Last edited:

thumpar

Admiral
8 people on a boat does get cramped. Mine is rated for 12 but have only had 7 out at one time and some were little kids. It was manageable but if everyone was moving around it got a little tight. Make sure you get something with a wide beam. You gain sq footage faster with a bigger beam than more length. For what you are trying to do a 5.7l might work but a 7.4l would probably be more in order. Mine is the 5.7l EFI in big heavy 20'. It does what I want it to do but I have never tried to pull a ski up with 8 on board.

Slayer315

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Hi all and thanks for all the replies. Sorry took a couple days to get back. The area where I live got hit hard with some rain, followed by flooding and landslides. Spent yesterday wading through water evacuating people and doing sandbags. This thread is about bigger ski boats, but I tell you what I really could have used a smaller aluminum jet sled to cruise the streets.LOL.

@airshot
"Definitely stay Mercruiser as parts are far more plentifull, if you budget allows newer boats within the last 5 years should have fuel injection before that carbs. Not an accurate date but in general, As far as which engine can handle what....it depends on what boat it is in...also if you have 8 people in your boat then that changes everything."

Thanks for the info, I wasnt sure how long they have been doing EFI. As for the engine size, I guess I realized more people, more weight, = need for more power. I see alot of 18 footers with 4.3 in them and was wondering how they handled/ powered boats people skiers.

@tnstratofam
"+1 on Mercruiser for the drivetrain. More parts available, and more mechanics to work on them. How often will there be 8 people, and are they all adults or are some children of smaller size?"

8 people would include the person in the water, and probably be up to 3 or 4 kids. Thats 2 for Mercruiser. What are the other options?

@AllDodge
"Don't want to get into a full blown carb/EFI discussion but I'll say this; I like EFI over carbs for quick starts and throttle response. Carbs are easier to work on and don't need much in tools and expertise then EFI."

Thats kind of what I was thinking, but wanted to here from someone else. I am leaning towards EFI.

"Another thing I would stay away from is what is called the crab cap (or crap cap). These caps have had a lot of issues over the years. They run great until they don't and there is no warning when they go. Also looking at the cap you cannot find an issue with upon inspection."

Never heard of this, could you elaborate?

@keith2k455
"Since you are moving up, I assume you have an opinion on size and that will be hard to sway. The first question I would ask is if this will be stored in your garage or not. Standard door height is 7' so that will eliminate anything over 22' and some 22 footers."

For size I am looking at 18 to 20. A boating friend has a 20'. Plenty of room, and would love to have that much room. But some of the 18's i have seen look roomy as well.

"One thing to think about in size is seating configuration. I wanted sport seating and a walk through transom because we thought it'd be easier to teach our toddlers boat rules. I think sport seating gives more room than back to back and I like it better for family interaction. The walk through might cost me some room, but that's also where I put coolers and extra gear."

Could you clarify sport seating? I have converted my back to back seats to swivel seats, with open transom to bow. This is what I am looking for, and really enjoy this set up.

"On power, if you're concerned go bigger. No v6, period. I have a 5.0 with stainless prop and it gets up pretty good and will do 50 mph."

This is why I am asking. My boating partner has a 20' with 5.0. It really moves, but I wasnt sure that if i went to a lighter 18', would the 4.3 be equivilent?

"Mine is rated for 10 persons, I've had 6 with two of them being a 2yo and a 5yo. I don't think kids take less room and I think 10 would be fine on my boat."

I also would have kids in the boat, so the weight would likely not be too much.

I hope I answered everyone. I am new to this forum stuff, and couldnt figure out how to do numerous replies in one.
To explain a little further, I am looking for an 18' to 20' mainly for the size of the inside. I do keep my boat inside for the winter, and have an 8' door, but overall size is a consideration. In a perfect world a 20' open bow with captains chairs and a 5.0 seems to just about right. I have been in this set up and it works well for what I do. However $$$ becomes an issue. So I am looking for something a few years old( preferably no more than 10, but I am also looking for EFI, so that may change the age thing), 18' looks like it would work size wise, but may be a little cramped. Alot of the 18 footers for sale I see have either 3.0, and 4.3. Reading on here I have came to the conclusion a 3.0 would NOT be what Im looking for. I am a fan of outboards, but after swimming back and forth from my boat to my buddies, I have been told by my family that our next boat needs a swim deck and no outboard to jump/ climb around.
​thanks for helping and keep coming. the more info and/or insight the better.

thumpar

Admiral
I don't thing you will find an 18' with a rating of 10 people. Maybe 8. I had a 2.5l (almost the same as 3.0l just a little smaller ci) in my last boat it did what we needed but that was in a 16.5' boat.

Scott Danforth

Staff member
many bow riders have entry (price-point) models in the 18' range, hence the high volume of them with 3.0 engines. unless the people in your boat are ethiopian refugees, the 3.0 probably wouldnt get it on plane with 8 people on board. Also, as thumpar stated, you may not find an 18 with capacity for 10 people. kids or adults do not matter in the eyes of the LEO's - 10 people is 10 people, since the capacity plate is a people or weight - which ever is reached first thing.

if you are focused on a smaller boat with a smaller motor, you may have to do like I did with my 19' SeaRay, go out with a bunch of people, pull up on the beach, dump off half, go out skiing with 4 on board, come back to beach and rotate to the next group of skiers.

alldodge

Staff member
An engine with the Distributer crab cap is called that because what it looks like. The engines run fine until it will not start or start missing. The distributer cap can be removed and inspected and there is usually no signs of an issue. Install a new cap and the engine fires right up and your good to go until it happens again. Something in how the cap is designed is the issue but I have found nothing which explains why they go bad, they just do.

Scott Danforth

Staff member
the insulation between the conductors breaks down and you get cross-talk amongst the plugs. since its internal to the cap construction, you can not see the issue, however if you hi pot test it, it fails

Slayer315

Petty Officer 3rd Class
An engine with the Distributer crab cap is called that because what it looks like. The engines run fine until it will not start or start missing. The distributer cap can be removed and inspected and there is usually no signs of an issue. Install a new cap and the engine fires right up and your good to go until it happens again. Something in how the cap is designed is the issue but I have found nothing which explains why they go bad, they just do.

Ah thanks for the clarification.
Another reason for looking at the 18 range is the 8 people thing. I don't know if I would need to do 10 people, but 8 I can see. We really enjoy our boat, and I am the only one in the family that has one so when we go out with family of course everyone wants to go either tubing, skiing, or just swimming. With a capacity of 8 I could at least get two families of 4 out in one trip.
I have been told that if I wanted to get someone my size up on wakeboard then to stay away from the 3.0.

thumpar

Admiral
Wakeboards are easy to get up. It is when you get to a slalom ski that you need the extra power to get them up before they have to suck too much water. Even with a 4.3l with 8 onboard it is not going to be a speed deamon. You would want to get a 4 or 5 blade prop to get out of the hole.

Scott Danforth

Staff member
^ +1. you can wakeboard behind a rowboat with a 10hp because they have a lot of surface area.

if you are the only one in the family with a boat, you may want to remind the relatives that boating isnt cheap. have them pitch in for fuel. When the BIL / SIL and kids come down for a weekend of skiing and tubing, I go thru about $250 in fuel, about $100 in beverages, and dont forget the $6 worth of TP and chemicals in the porta-crapper.

alldodge

Staff member
Ah thanks for the clarification.
Another reason for looking at the 18 range is the 8 people thing. I don't know if I would need to do 10 people, but 8 I can see. We really enjoy our boat, and I am the only one in the family that has one so when we go out with family of course everyone wants to go either tubing, skiing, or just swimming. With a capacity of 8 I could at least get two families of 4 out in one trip.
I have been told that if I wanted to get someone my size up on wakeboard then to stay away from the 3.0.

You can do it with an 18 but I would suggest at least a 20 footer and a 5.7 (350). That a Bravo 3 or Duro prop and you will be able to move the masses. As always a big block would do best but understand needing to keep the expenses down

JaCrispy

Petty Officer 1st Class
You need something like a 22-23' deck boat with a 5.7. Bow rider with an open floor plan and perimeter seating.