GM 5.7 truck engine for boat

Van46

Recruit
I have a GM5.7 SGI -14093638 truck engine with 40,000 on it and was wondering if I could put it in my boat that has no engine in it . I was told it had a 350 ci in it but was taken out when it through a rod I do have the out drive and that is an alpha 1 if the truck engine workes what else would I need .

rickryder

Commander
Nope a truck engine and a marine engine are 2 different animals...

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
Kinda right, but the short answer is there the same .
The 5.7 block is almost exactly the same since it was introduced. minor differences but that's all.
The most important items are a marine/truck cam, brass core plugs, and electrical items marine ignition protected.
Just be careful mixing pre-Vortec and Vortec parts such as heads.

Bondo

Staff member
I have a GM5.7 SGI -14093638 truck engine with 40,000 on it and was wondering if I could put it in my boat that has no engine in it . I was told it had a 350 ci in it but was taken out when it through a rod I do have the out drive and that is an alpha 1 if the truck engine workes what else would I need .

Ayuh,.... Welcome Aboard,.... You'll need All the Mercruiser Stuff, that Mercruiser bolted onto a GM long block, to make it a Marine motor,....

Commonality 'tween the GM pickup motor, 'n a Marine motor, ends at the Long Block configuration,...

thumpar

Admiral
The engine itself will work. You will need brass core plugs. Boat engines used stainless head gaskets but personally I wouldn't change them since I boat in clean freshwater. You will need all the externals though. Everything electrical needs to be marine rated. You may run in to issues with the flywheel and coupler matching up to the engine. How much is left of the old setup? Do you have any exhaust parts? Is there any chance you can get your hands on the old motor to pull the parts you need to convert?

Van46

Recruit
I do not have the old engine as it was scrapped two years befour I picked up the boat. All I have with the engine I have is the carb and alt. what issues will I have with the flywheel and coupler? Is this GM engine with code # 14093638 a good choice or should I be looking for a marine engine ? Do you have a list of parts I may need ,and can I get a wire harness for the engine? Like everyone I am just trying to keep cost down . Thank you for all your help

alldodge

Staff member
I do not have the old engine as it was scrapped two years befour I picked up the boat. All I have with the engine I have is the carb and alt. what issues will I have with the flywheel and coupler? Is this GM engine with code # 14093638 a good choice or should I be looking for a marine engine ? Do you have a list of parts I may need ,and can I get a wire harness for the engine? Like everyone I am just trying to keep cost down . Thank you for all your help

As others have mentioned above the truck engine will work. Need to replace the steel freeze plugs with brass ones. You cannot use the alternator because it is not ignition protected. You will also need a marine starter, not an automotive one.

The engine casting number 14093638...350...87-95...2 or 4...Roller or flat tappet cam, one-piece rear seal

You will need
Marine starter
Marine alternator
Marine Distributer
Maybe carb
Ignition coil
Engine coupler
Exhaust manifolds and elbows
Hoses to route water to from the engine
Wiring harness - this one can be purchased from Merc or better yet ebay, or make one your self from a custom 10 pin connector

Van46

Recruit
Thank you for your help alldodge I guess I'll start with the engine coupler and flywheel problem first as I look up the rest of the parts