Mercruiser 2.5L question

JOFO17

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Let me start by saying Happy New year to everyone out there. And thank you for all of the good advice over the last year. I'm looking at a really well kept 87 Renken Seamaster 2488. The older guy that had it took great care of it. My main issue is the small 2.5L with an Alpha 1 drive. It seems like a awful small motor. Even the 3.8 was considered small for a boat this size. I'm thinking walk away, but would appreciate some input. Is this way under powered?

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,.... A 2.5l in a 24' boat, will No doubt be underpowered,...

alldodge

Staff member
Let me start by saying Happy New year to everyone out there. And thank you for all of the good advice over the last year. I'm looking at a really well kept 87 Renken Seamaster 2488. The older guy that had it took great care of it. My main issue is the small 2.5L with an Alpha 1 drive. It seems like a awful small motor. Even the 3.8 was considered small for a boat this size. I'm thinking walk away, but would appreciate some input. Is this way under powered?

According to this thread on THT the Renken's are cheaply made boats and to stay clear of them. Personally I have no first hand knowledge
http://www.thehulltruth.com/boating-forum/30013-comments-renken-quality.html

thumpar

Admiral
Can that thing even get on plane? I had a 2.5l in my 16.5' and felt like I wanted more power.

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
Depends on what ya use it for. If all ya do us troll with it it should be ok. And if ya need to get in,it'll get ya there,just not as fast. Just my thoughts.....