Flushing Contraption

alldodge

Staff member
Any comments on my flushing contraption before I install it? It lets me turn off the raw water, attach a garden hose and flush the engine while in the water.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-cBnn0Jv6jc...ontraption.jpg

I think there might be an issue "IF" it needs more water then your garden hose is providing. When using muffs and the engine needs more water, the pump can suck air around the muffs, this is not much with a few air bubbles. Your setup will have it sealed and the pump could start collapsing the hose our if the hose would not collapse, a vacuum would start.

Your flush rig would help flush the block but would probably take a while to do it thoroughly due to thermostat

Edit: also don't like the hose your using if the hose in the pic is between the bravo drive and the engine

Last edited:

agallant80

Commander
also don't like the hose your using if the hose in the pic is between the bravo drive and the engine

Whats wrong with the hose? Its the OEM merc hose that came with the boat. Its only 2 years old. I took it off of the water pump to take to Lowes to find the proper fittings.

As for not enough water, my system has a water flow sensor and will start beeping up a storm if there is not enough water flow.

Last edited:

alldodge

Staff member
Whats wrong with the hose? Its the OEM merc hose that came with the boat. Its only 2 years old. I took it off of the water pump to take to Lowes to find the proper fittings.

As for not enough water, my system has a water flow sensor and will start beeping up a storm if there is not enough water flow.

That doesn't look like a suction line, it looks like the line which comes off the pump and goes to the power steering cooler (pressure line).

You asked for opinions, this is just mine

agallant80

Commander
Its the hose that goes from the transom to the raw water pump on the bottom of the motor for a Bravo drive. They put some contraption in the middle of it that lets you break the hose in half. Im going to take out that device and replace it with my off valve/flush contraption.

alldodge

Staff member
Well ya learned me something, haven't seen hose that looks like that for the suction line.

dan t.

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Should work just fine, +1 for inventiveness, is that actualy a word? Any way it should work just fine.