Ford 460 fresh water cooled

wendellbee

Seaman Apprentice
i have twin ford 460 inboards on a CC 340 crowne with full closed fresh water cooling. can anyone point me tin the direction of a daigram and/or schematic for the routing of the raw water and coolant hoses. thanks

Last edited by a moderator:

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Welcome aboard.,Wendell.

What brand are you working on? OMC, Mercruiser, Crusader, etc. They may be similar, but they are all different layouts.

wendellbee

Seaman Apprentice
thanks. i believe they are omc. not 100% sure as the previous owner knew nothing about the boat mechanically.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Now I'm out of ideas. - Not an inboard guy at all. We'll have to wait until one of then checks in.

Bondo

Staff member
i have twin ford 460 inboards on a CC 340 crowne with full closed fresh water cooling. can anyone point me tin the direction of a daigram and/or schematic for the routing of the raw water and coolant hoses. thanks

Ayuh,..... Welcome Aboard,...... I ain't got a diagram, as you don't know exactly what ya got, But,....

Generally speakin', there's a seacock, or a line from the drive, goin' through any oil coolers, if so equiped, to the raw water pump,....
There may, or may not be a sea strainer at the seacock,...
From the pump to the heat exchanger, 'n on to be exhausted at the exhaust risers,.... or possibly a line overboard,...

The coolant side of the heat exchanger flows to the circulatin' water pump, through the motor, to the t-stat housin', 'n back to the exchanger,...

If ya got cabin heat, or a water heater, there'll be a line from just behind the t-stat housin', 'n the return will go to a barb on the circulatin' pump, or the exchanger,....

wendellbee

Seaman Apprentice
thanks bondo. that's basically how i reconnected it all. just wanted to check if there may or may not be something missing in the raw water line connections.

Comogene

Cadet
Wendell:

My recollection is that Chrysler used the Ford 460 when they discontinued the 440, but only for a few years. OMC used the block on their COBRA I/Os. The former were typically painted blue while the latter were black. Exhaust manifolds and risers are distinctively different and both imprinted their name on the manifolds. Chryler had huge, rounded manifolds. OMC were smaller and rectangular. Chrylser had it own design for the closed cooling system with unusual thermostat housing and drain petcocks. They had their own design for the heat exchnager which I believe was manufactured by Sen-Dure. The raw water came from the sea strainer to the transmission oil cooler before it hit the raw water pump (which was mounted on the left side of the motor) and then to the heat exchanger and finally to the exhaust extension/risers.

If you can add a picture, I can identify the marinizer.

Gene