351w marine engine opinions

JOFO17

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I'm looking for some feedback on the late 70's marine 351w. Was this a decent motor? Was it a typically thirsty motor?

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,... They burn gas, just like any other boat motor,....

The problem ya might have is, Ford has been outa the marine biz, for 'bout a decade now, for Volvo, 'n several decades as for Merc,....

kmarine

Chief Petty Officer
They are solid engines and reliable, parts and finding mechanics who are experts at trouble shooting them are not. I replaced mine with a remanufactured long block last year. I still am chasing ghosts as the computer will not let me take it over 3500 rpm. Even ford racing who designed the efi set up cannot offer me help.

Blue Mist 97

Seaman Apprentice
Had a 75 MasterCraft ski boat with a Ford 351W in it. It was a reverse turn inboard. It was a great motor and lasted many hours. Rebuilt it just before I sold it and it still ran very good. No computers back then. Found out later that it had a leaking exhaust manifold that I missed, but was an easy fix. It was pretty much bulletproof if you took care of it.

As far as fuel goes, it wasn't all that bad in an 18 ft. boat, but then fuel was a bit cheaper back then.

Last edited:

thumpar

Admiral
Boat motors are only as thirsty as your right hand moves forward. I can burn up the 40 gallon tank in a day if I tried or go the same distance and use half at a nice cruise speed.