comparing HP on boats

KD4UPL

Senior Chief Petty Officer
My current 20.5' boat has a 210 HP 5.7L with a 2 barrel carb. I want to upgrade to around a 24' boat. I see a lot of them with only a 5.0L engine. It doesn't seem like I want a 4' longer boat with a smaller displacement engine.
From a HP standpoint a lot of the MPI 5.0L engines are making 240 up to I think around 270 HP. This would seem like a good upgrade from my 210 HP but with a bigger boat that must be heavier seems like I'd be breaking about even.
I've always wondered why no one ever lists the torque rating of a boat engine. Is it that irrelevant. As I understand it HP, torque, and RPM are related. I know these new 5.0L engines aren't turning that many more RPMs then mine so that would mean they have to be making more torque, right?
I know ultimately I'll need to test drive a potential purchase but I'm afraid that won't tell me much. I typically boat with 6 to 11 people in the boat. I'm pretty sure getting a group like that for a test drive is going to be difficult.

mr 88

Commander
You typicaly boat with 6-11 people on a 20.5 boat,must be a lot of kids. A 24' boat with that load, your running twins if you want to get out of your own way.

KD4UPL

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Thanks for the link. I don't know at what RPM my boat engine makes it's rated HP but I would assume around WOT of about 4,500. Using the formula of HP=T x RPM / 5252 I must be making about 245 lb/ft of torque. One of these new 5.0 engines making 270 HP at the same RPM would be making about 315 lb/ft. That's a significant increase.
Mr. 88, It's usually my family of 4 with another family of around 4 that we invite along so it ends up being about 4 adults and 4 kids. If it's me and my brother's families and my parents come along then we're at 4 kids and 6 adults.
I've been thinking I'd really like a big block. I haven't seen many 24' bowriders or deckboats with twins.
HP wise it seems like the new 5.0 engines are almost the equal of a 15 year old big block. I know there has to be more to it than that.

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,...... I wouldn't buy a 24'er without at least a 5.7l, or bigger,.... regardless what induction system is used,....

thumpar

Admiral
A duoprop or bravo 3 with the twin prop would help get it out of the hole. A 7.4l or bigger would be my first choice but a 5.7l mag would work.

tpenfield

Staff member
When I had a 24 foot boat, it had a 7.4L . . . 5.0 would be a trolling motor.