Mercruiser vs. Quicksilver

dionysosdave

Recruit
This may be a dumb question, but I am doing some parts research and just wondering...is a Mercruiser part the same as a Quicksilver part? They both seem to be owned by Brunswick but I can't tell if there is a difference. If so, which would be considered the better part, for say a fuel pump?

Thanks!

tpenfield

Staff member
Ford, Autolite . . . GM, Delco . . . Mercury/Mercuiser, Quicksilver.

Just the parts branding of Mercury

Mischief Managed

Lieutenant Commander
Ted is right. Also quicksilver is a synonym for the element mercury, so it's a clever marketing name for the products as well.

JoLin

Vice Admiral
quicksilver is a synonym for the element mercury, so it's a clever marketing name for the products as well.

Geez, I never made that connection, and that (mercury = quicksilver) is something I used to know! Pretty neat, alright.

alldodge

Staff member
Geez, I never made that connection, and that (mercury = quicksilver) is something I used to know! Pretty neat, alright.

I missed it as well, Wish I was smarter then a 5th grader :(

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
Ford, Autolite . . . GM, Delco . . . Mercury/Mercuiser, Quicksilver.

Just the parts branding of Mercury

But you can't put a non marine rated part on a boat and be legal. And you're insurance may not like it much. You're car is vented to the atmosphere, you're boat motor in closed in a bilge.Any spark can send ya to heaven,or hell,depending entirely on you'r lifestyle. Quicksilver or mercury,some use siera,as they are cheaper,but after using sierra for a bit myself......nope.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
yes and no. Quicksilver is the aftermarket division. While in many cases the parts are identical (coming from the same supply chain source) in some cases they are interchangeable (may come from a different vendor - depending on supply chain path), however meet the same standards and requirements.

Mercruiser is simply a packager of parts, most secured thru supply chain, few manufactured in-house

Natesms

Chief Petty Officer
Quicksilver or mercury,some use siera,as they are cheaper,but after using sierra for a bit myself......nope.

I'm done with Sierra myself. The quality difference is just to great compared to OEM, especially the gaskets. The few bucks in savings is not worth it.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
You can use auto parts on a MerCruiser, provided they are suitable for marine use. For example, automotive fan belts are fine to substitute for Mercuriser fan belts, and a whole lot cheaper. Other auto parts that are suitable are universal joints, oil pans and gaskets, oil filters, timing covers, valve covers and gaskets. The things that need to be marine-grade are solenoids, starters and alternators, thermostats, ign parts, manifolds, thermostat covers and waterpumps. These lists are not exhaustive.

Speakrdude

Ensign
No Title

Sorry. Dumb questions answered only on Jet Ski forum.....
(J/K)
I never made the "Quick Silver"="Mercury" either! We've all learned something!

Attachments

• photo212497.jpg
    photo212497.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 0

JustJason

Vice Admiral
This goes back quite sometime. (late 70's I believe)

Mercury Marine wanted to sell OEM parts to non-Mercury Marine dealers. Mercury Marine (as well as MCM and MIE) threw a fit because as part of the dealer agreement, Mercury Marine would not sell OEM labeled parts to non-dealers. So what MM did is they came up with the "Quicksilver" moniker, and a new logo, and simply started stuffing OEM parts into Quicksilver labeled boxes, and selling them to walmarts, cabelas, BPS ect ect.

It is the exact same parts. There is no difference, or factory 2nds, or anything like that. The way it is supposed to be right now is Mercury Marine dealers specifically get OEM labeled boxes, non-dealers get quicksilver boxes. It does not mean as much as it used to mean, and even dealers have quicksilver labeled boxes now.