learned a quick fix if your having carb troubles

acdc96

Chief Petty Officer
while out on my friends boat powered by a 87 Mercruiser 454 big block V8, we went out for the last time for the season making sure the fuel stabilizer ran through the system. we anchored and fished for a bit then left. started the motor and the thing was sounding rough. as soon as he hit the throttle it stalled out. had a full tank and fuel in the bowl we manuely primed the engine by pressing the accelarater pump a couple of times and started the engine he took off the flame arrestor and told me to rev the engine out of gear to around 2000-3000 rpm when the motor reached 2500 rpm he cover the intake with a rag and stalled the engine out a minute later he started the engine and it started right up aand we went to the ramp.

great way to fix a cab issue in a pintch, using the engine's vaccume to remove any debri in the venturies or jets in the carb to get it to run better... not bad.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Sorry, I wouldn't be doing this. You risk a flame back into your face and/or getting the rag sucked into the engine. The amount of cleaning you actually do to the jets is dubious at best.

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner
Yeah. I don't think I would do that either for the same reasons.

Every year, I just drain my fuel tank completely in SEPT and run what I get out of it in my car.

Then, in MAY, JUN or JUL of "Next-Year" (or whenever I first use the boat), I change the spin-on filter and fill the tank with gas (44 gal)....................

So, for approx 8-10 months, it just sits empty............ and I don't add any "Special Sauce" additives (like MMO, Sea-Snot, Owl-spit, Porpoise-Poop, etc) to the gas either.

I just use the money I save by not using that "stuff", to buy MORE gas! (or more Beer!!!)

Cheers,

Rick

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
As stated above^^ And it may work,but it more than likely needs a rebuild.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
It is no different than running your boat at full throttle and thinking it's going to "clear up" like magic...LOL!

Bondo

Staff member
Or dumping in some "Mechanic-In-A-Can"!!!

Ayuh,... It's alittle bit better than "Mechanic in a can",....

The vacuum of the motor, can, 'n will dislodge bits of crud from some of the carbs passages,....

It's an ole trick in My bag of "Get 1 more lap outa this danm thing" toolbox,...
I prefer gloved hands over a rag, but ya gotta do whatever ya gotta do sometimes,.....

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner
Ayuh,... It's alittle bit better than "Mechanic in a can",....

The vacuum of the motor, can, 'n will dislodge bits of crud from some of the carbs passages,....

It's an ole trick in My bag of "Get 1 more lap outa this danm thing" toolbox,...
I prefer gloved hands over a rag, but ya gotta do whatever ya gotta do sometimes,.....

I have used that method to get that "extra lap" too.......but it also told me that a carb rebuild was in my immediate future!

WrenchHead

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Main thing is you got it running smoothly again and made it home without any damage to the engine. You also passed on a simple tip to others which could prevent a tow.