Winterize question

natsgrampy

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have just completed winterizing my 89 Sea Ray with Mercruiser 3.0. I am planning to replace the bellows and hose and trim limit switch etc.

I have all the parts now. I was wondering if it is better to change all this stuff now, it's all apart, or, in the spring so it's not sitting all winter long?

I have also drained the oil from the motor and the drive, and wasn't sure if I should put new oil in now or in the spring.

It gets below zero several times over the winter and didn't want to expose the new "stuff" to these elements. If it makes no difference, I'll do it now and have that much less to do in the spring.

Thanks for all your help!!!!

tpenfield

Staff member
The cold will be fine on the outdriVe stuff so long as you can install it in somewhat warm weather.

Fill the oil, not a good thing to go w/o oil in the pan. ( nothing good can happen)

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,.... I agree with Ted,... I'd do it Now, 'n be done with it,...

'n Ditto on refillin' the oils,.... Especially the drive,....

natsgrampy

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Can I refill the drive with it being off?

Should I put everything back together?

thumpar

Admiral
Since it is an 89 with a 3.0l I am guessing that it is an Alpha 1 (non GenII). As long as it is on a stand or upright somehow and positioned like it would be on the boat you can refill the lube without it being installed.

Volphin

Lieutenant
Ayuh,.... I agree with Ted,... I'd do it Now, 'n be done with it,...

'n Ditto on refillin' the oils,.... Especially the drive,....

And write down the date you did it and put it in the boat. I forgot I did it one year, and drained them both again! DOH! Now I just do it in the Spring. Getting old stinks! :lol:

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner
Can I refill the drive with it being off?

Should I put everything back together?

You could as long as it's positioned level so you get it to the proper level.

The engine and drive should be refilled with oil for 2 reasons. You don't want to forget AND filling and running allows any previously contaminated oil to get diluted with the "new" oil. Just draining doesn't remove oil (that could be contaminated with combustion products and water) still adhering to bearings and cyl walls etc.

I know others swear by doing it in the Spring etc but Mercury (Volvo OMC, etc) recommends changing at the end of the season for the reasons above. Exposing your "new" oil to the "elements" doesn't hurt it at all unless you're letting the engine sit in the rain where water runs right in the oil fill or carb........Then you have MUCH bigger problems!!!

Regards,

Rick