2000 Chaparral 240 SSI 5.7 EFI High Hours

Frankjones28

Cadet
I am lloking at purchasing a 2000 chaparral 240 SSI with 5.7 merc w EFI. The boat is in excellent shape all the way around and the price is right. However, how concerned should I be about 800 hours and what issues does this motor have at high hours. I would spend more money but have two kids in college. My kids tubing skiing days are over. Just want a boat for wife and friends to get on the water on weekends.

Volphin

Lieutenant
Bah! Engine hours mean less than the engine compression numbers. Chap makes a fine vessel.
I don't know how it is equipped, but the boat alone without the trailer goes for $12,150 - $13,350 according to NADA.

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
The average is about 100 hours/year, do the math. Get a survey and a 1 hour test run, you`ll be fine.

thumpar

Admiral
I wouldn't be afraid of 800 hours. The maintenance is the key. My boat as over 600 hours on it but I have all the receipts from the previous owner going back to 2002 from the factory dealer that did all the service work.

tpenfield

Staff member
I bought a boat with 800 hours on the engines . . .

In your situation, it is good evidence that the boat has been used on a fairly consistent basis (averaged about 55-60 hours per year), which is a good thing. Make sure to have your inspections, etc and include a compression test. that will give you a level of comfort before buying.

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,.... I'd worry more 'bout a rotten transom, than a SBC with only 800 hours on it,.... 'bout a 1/4, to a 1/5 of it's potential,....

Last edited:

Frankjones28

Cadet
Thanks gentlemen wife loved the boat. Comp test and test ride scheduled for money. If as good as looks. I will buy it

rick3452

Petty Officer 1st Class
I'm going on 1500 hours on my 2000 Mercruiser 5.0 I put 300 hours a year on it. But I maintain it to the letter.
Best of luck!

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
I agree especially if this is a fresh water boat you do not need to fear the # of hours. Its all about the maintenance. If the maintenance is not done then a 5 year old boat with 200 hrs can be a problem. When you do your water test make sure that the engine starts and runs properly, it reaches the specified max rpms, and that the outdrive shifts properly and does not jump out of gear. Monitor engine oil pressure, engine temp and charging voltage. It would be a good idea to take a sample of gear oil from the lower unit drain plug to see if water comes out first (bad seals). Take a good look at the joint between the manifolds and risers, if you see any rust on the outside that gasket could be leaking on the inside, and needs to be looked at.