Problem with Moeller Fluid Extractor - any ever see this?

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral
I was trying to winterize my boat this weekend and I pulled out my 5.0 L Moeller Fluid Extractor, and when I hooked everything up and started pumping, oil started coming out of the open ends of the T-handle on the pump! There was some residual oil in the bottom of the extractor, and since oil was not yet coming out of the dipstick tube, that residual oil must have been the source. Oil got all over my boat, and the fluid extractor is not working.

Has anyone experience this before with a Moeller extractor? I've looked on the Moeller web site for any info on troubleshooting problems, and they have essentially no support for this product. The packaging is also short on anything helpful (it doesn't even have decent instruction on how to use the thing). I just emailed Moeller, so there's been no time for them to reply.

I'm more than a bit frustrated, as I was trying to take advantage of good weather and a free day this weekend to winterize the boat, and this pump that I've owned for 1.5-2 years and that I've only used a couple of times is not working. At $80 a pop, I would have expected this thing to last a bit longer...

While I'm awaiting a reply from Moeller, does anyone have any ideas on what might be wrong with this thing? Any other owners of this pump seen this problem, too?

Thanks,
Jim

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
Mines not a moller,but if you tip them to far when emptying,they can get fluids in the vacume pump part. I'd just take it apart,clean it out,lube the vacume pump seals a small amount and it'll be fine. I've learned the same thing the same way you did.

four winns 214

Senior Chief Petty Officer
I just used my Moeller tonight and it worked fine. I've had it six years and use it on two boats. The instructions for mine do explicitly say to never tip it upside down. Now I know why. Learning has been achieved. Thanks iBoats!

Last edited: