Sharing a through hull

agallant80

Commander
In preperation of slipping the boat next season I would like to convert my Bravo 3 from the drive water pickup to a through hull. I have one for the A/C already and it is in a good location. Can I just Y it off so one hose goes to the water pump and the other to the AC? They would never be run both at the same time. I don't like the idea of putting another hole in the hull if I don't have to. The current through hull is a scoop style.

Last edited:

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
I would run a second one. I am envisioning priming issues sharing them, although I have to admit, I have never tried it.

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner
I am not sure I would want to do that. If suction appplied to the AC pickup caused you to pull air into the Bravo raw water pump (via the AC water discharge) , you could cause an overheat because the water going to the Bravo pump would be areated.

What's wrong with the Bravo III pickup?

thumpar

Admiral
I don't think it would work unless you put in a shutoff valve on the A/C side. The engine could suck the water out of the A/C side of it. Why switch in the first place? My pickup on my Bravo works just fine.

agallant80

Commander
My pickup on my Bravo works just fine.

Its not that it works or doesnt its that there is no way to turn it off. If I am slipping the boat and I may not make it down for a few weeks I don't want to worry about a hose giving out or something. I would like to be able to plug every hose below the waterline via a seacock.

alldodge

Staff member
In preperation of slipping the boat next season I would like to convert my Bravo 3 from the drive water pickup to a through hull. I have one for the A/C already and it is in a good location. Can I just Y it off so one hose goes to the water pump and the other to the AC? They would never be run both at the same time. I don't like the idea of putting another hole in the hull if I don't have to. The current through hull is a scoop style.

Normally most all boat repair/modification sites recommend Y-ing off a thru hull fitting then adding another. This I would agree with all except the engine. The engine needs a lot of water and an A/C pick up is designed for minimal water flow need. Now if the water pickup is the size Merc recommends for use in thru hull Bravo drives then I would take another look. The hose connection would need to go thru a sea strainer and use a 1 1/4 ID hose

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner
I would like to be able to plug every hose below the waterline via a seacock.

You could easily add 2 "ball" valves unless you have more than 2 openings.

I think the chances of a "hose giving out" is pretty remote. There's no pressure on them and the hose from the transom to a Bravo raw water pump is heavily armored (so it cannot collapse due to suction) and is probably stronger than any hose you currently have anywhere.....

agallant80

Commander
I may or may not take on this project depending on how the transom gear lube leak goes. I still have a few other things to take care of too such as the bellows ring popped out when I took off my outdrive.

thumpar

Admiral
Its not that it works or doesnt its that there is no way to turn it off. If I am slipping the boat and I may not make it down for a few weeks I don't want to worry about a hose giving out or something. I would like to be able to plug every hose below the waterline via a seacock.
You can put a seacock on it whether it is thru hull or thru drive.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
If your current hose from your drive going to your raw water pump fails, you would have a similar issue since the raw water pump is typically below water line so you aren't accomplishing anything.

agallant80

Commander
If your current hose from your drive going to your raw water pump fails, you would have a similar issue since the raw water pump is typically below water line so you aren't accomplishing anything.

Huh? The whole point is to have a seacock that I can close when I am not at the boat so if there is some sort of issue nothing happens. Currently with the hose to the outdrive there is no way to stop the water flow if I modify it so the raw water pump feeds off of a through hull scoop with a seacock it can be closed.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
I understand, but there are a thousands of boats out there that have your current configuration that aren't sinking while moored. That was my point.

UncleWillie

Captain
Perhaps I should not worry about it then.

Worrying, or at least, reasonable concern is OK. A Phobia , not so much.
Closely inspect all hoses once or twice a year.
At the first sign of deterioration, replace them along with their clamps, if warranted.

The hose will get soft, then deform, then leak, then blow out.
Or it will get Hard, then crack, then leak and then blow out.
It will not go from fine, to a blow out in a week, sitting in the slip.
The boats that sink are the ones that never get any preventative maintenance.
The warning signs will be evident long before they become an issue if you look for them.

four winns 214

Senior Chief Petty Officer
>>Perhaps I should not worry about it then.<<

Perhaps a compromised bellows system should be your biggest boat-sinking concern.

Last edited:

UncleWillie

Captain
>>Perhaps I should not worry about it then.<<
Perhaps a compromised bellows system should your biggest boat-sinking concern.
+1
And good reason to always keep the drive in the DOWN Position, except when actually trailering it on the road.
The UP position puts a lot of stress on the bellows. Tilt it Up as little as possible.