2014 4.3 TKS motor

roffey

Commander
I have winterized my motor and just looking to see if anyone has the same motor as I. Mine is a 2014 4.3 TKS Mercury. When I look at the manual for my motor it cover numerous motors and cooling systems. I could only find three drain plugs (seacocks) one on each exhaust manifold and one at the bottom of the motor on the water pump. I believe they call this a three point draining system. Can anyone confirm this that has the same motor.

Last edited:

thumpar

Admiral
I don't know your motor but there should be some way to drain the bottom of the motor. Most "V" motors will have a drain on each side just above the oil pan.

roffey

Commander
Good question, this sort of confuses me. Are raw water and fresh water cooling the same? I think you mean closed cooling system or raw water? I do not have a closed water cooling, it uses lake water so that would be fresh water or raw?

Feel free to straighten me out, LOL.

Fun Times

Staff member
Do you have your engine serial number handy?

Also what manual are you reading? service manual or owners manual?

P.S, We'll be moving your topic down to it's proper location in the Non-Repair I/O and Inboards Discussions not involving troubles or repair sub-forum.

Last edited:

roffey

Commander
Motor serial number is pnyusb62i314, and manual is owners manual, very confusing as it covers all inboards and not specific to my motor. That's what you get for 35k, LOL

Last edited:

roffey

Commander
sorry that was the hull number. Ill try once more Serial number is 1a657009

Saline Marina

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Some pictures would help. The classic 4.3L has two plugs (could be brass hex plugs) into the water jacket on each side of the engine block. If you had closed cooling its possible that knock sensors were screwed into one or more of these holes but with lake water cooling I would not think this to be the case.

thumpar

Admiral
Some pictures would help. The classic 4.3L has two plugs (could be brass hex plugs) into the water jacket on each side of the engine block. If you had closed cooling its possible that knock sensors were screwed into one or more of these holes but with lake water cooling I would not think this to be the case.
My 1996 raw water cooled engine has a knock sensor. If it has or doesn't have a knock sensor depends on the ignition system used not the cooling system.

seilings

Seaman Apprentice
I have winterized my motor and just looking to see if anyone has the same motor as I. Mine is a 2014 4.3 TKS Mercury. When I look at the manual for my motor it cover numerous motors and cooling systems. I could only find three drain plugs (seacocks) one on each exhaust manifold and one at the bottom of the motor on the water pump. I believe they call this a three point draining system. Can anyone confirm this that has the same motor.

Check this video out, start from 17:50, see how this guy pull all his five plugs.
http://youtu.be/P6H497X-J9g

B
ut you Engine is new module, so could be diffirent.

Last edited:

seilings

Seaman Apprentice

Fun Times

Staff member
It is a bit confusing, through your link, the engine link goes to a 4.3MPI 220 HP engine.
Just for clarification purposes, running his engine serial number shows the engine in question to be carbureted. 4.3 CARB - TKS A 1.7R 4.3L ALPHA.
So I think if you can be sure it is a TKS engine, then it should have 5 plugs
Agreed, your model will have 5 plugs like seen in the video.

http://www.mercruiserparts.com/Show...=13798&bnbr=180&bdesc=Standard+Cooling+System

Here's your parts catalog for you while I have it open.:)

http://www.mercruiserparts.com/selec..._nbr=884714004

Kind of cool, I believe Four Winns has something similar.

And manual is owners manual, very confusing as it covers all inboards and not specific to my motor. That's what you get for 35k, LOL
:)....When you're ready to start shopping for your service manual that's not available online in PDF, your service manual part number is 90-8M0086018.

roffey

Commander
You guys are the best, Thanks a bunch. This was exactly the information I was looking for.

roffey

Commander
OK, just went out and checked and for sure there is 5, I missed two. I unscrewed them and no water came out,,, but I remember from a similar post to stick a wire in the hole and out poured water. It was the same for both sides. My bay is a little muddy, it's called mud bay LOL. so... my next step is to fill the motor back up with antifreeze? I keep reading here not to as air does not freeze.

once more, thanks I dodged a bullet there. My wife is adamant I take it to a marina, $200 later...

Fun Times

Staff member
my next step is to fill the motor back up with antifreeze? I keep reading here not to as air does not freeze.
The answer to your antifreeze question is you'll be fine with or without it. Some dealers add it...some don't. If you run your boat in salt or brackish waters, then it's a little more on the recommended side to add it to help protect from quicker rust formation as time goes on.... But again it's not absolutely needed if desired by you or your wife.:)

My wife is adamant I take it to a marina, $200 later...
Sounds like you are doing fine on you're own now that you have the water drained....especially from the engine block. Just be sure to follow the owners manual with the rest of the process.