Through transom exhaust

Colehan0929

Recruit
Just need some opinions on through transom exhaust. Upgrading my boat with a v8 and thinking about putting exhaust through transom. Like the sound but dont want to get sick of it.. any thoughts? Go through prop or transom?

thumpar

Admiral
If you do it put in captains call so you can turn it off or on.

Fun Times

Staff member
Any pros or cons?
Through transom exhaust is more of a preference of your style boating and where you boat.

It's best to know that the majority of lakes have noise limit laws and "some" fellow boaters have even a lesser tolerance of loud exhaust plus if the lake is surrounded by homes, then open exhaust is even less liked, especially at 7:00 AM.

Now there are some lakes and rivers that will tolerate certain levels of through transom exhaust but just know most law enforcement officers are self judging each boat they pass before checking to see if they have installed some sort of exhaust muffling device in an effort to help dampen the sound limits knowing most boats with through transom exhaust are already over the legal limit set at certain RPM.

This is usually a touchy subject here on iboats that comes up a few times a year like this one for example. http://forums.iboats.com/forum/engi...i-o-and-inboards/8637676-through-hull-exhaust

What model boat and engine do you have plus where's your main intended use?

Tnstratofam

Commander
My boat has transom through hole exhaust factory installed. It does have silencers/mufflers of a sort installed so it isn't really a straight pipe setup. The exhausts are under the swim platform and at idle speed or slow they aren't too bad, however I have been actively searching for a Y pipe connector to relocate my exhaust through the prop. I'm trying to create a captains call in reverse so to speak as I currently can't make my boat quiet without dropping down to idle speed. I like the tone of the mufflers, buy at night they are a pain!

Pro's when I was 30 they would have been cool, and I could have really shown people what a child I really was. :rolleyes:

Con's now I'm in my 40's, and they're not as cool as you might think.:nono:

Last edited:

theBrownskull

Chief Petty Officer
I like thru-hull exhaust and "Captains Call" but many people don't. Why? Because it can get loud if not muffled and it will draw the attention of Law Enforcement due to complaints. Remember decibel levels can apply in states. Also, make sure "Captain Call" is legal in your state. Some of the states have statutes that make it ILLEGAL even if it is not in operation.. they require it to be non-working even if it was factory installed.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Bruce, why is there no way? need to know pros and cons.. Thanks

I use my boat at my house where there are channels and it echos off every single house. It is also loude when you are driving the boat as well. I base my opinion on being on other's boats that have this style.

I have a Harley motorcycle that has pretty loud pipes. I bought the exhaust based on their looks and not on their sound. I would easily trade them for a similar model that was quieter.

Last edited:

Colehan0929

Recruit
Fun Times I will be using the boat for fishing, crabbing, trawling,hunting etc.. I live in southeast Louisiana and will mostly be in the surrounding salt water bayous. Its a 06 20ft bayliner bow rider.

Walt T

Lieutenant
It's your boat and your choice, but loud exhaust intrudes on others and that's where it gets touchy. I'm like you, I love the sound, but passengers and others don't. I admit I don't like it at all from other boats when it's not a racing event. To me there is a big difference in the sound of a true performance engine such as some jet boats and true performance boat vs the sound of a stock Bayliner which is just irritating. Thanks for thinking of making it quiet rest assured it is appreciated.

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner
Fun Times I will be using the boat for fishing, crabbing, trawling,hunting etc.. I live in southeast Louisiana and will mostly be in the surrounding salt water bayous. Its a 06 20ft bayliner bow rider.
I had Capts Call in my Four Winns 211 Liberator. When I pulled the OMC 460 and replaced it with a 454 Bravo, I did not re-install the Capts Call.

I had completely OPEN exhaust and it was REALLY loud when the Thru-hull was activated.

It might not be all that bad if you have exhaust "tips" like the Corsa "silencers or something similar.....
banner_ASR.gif

They do actually reduce the sound level if there's a fair amount of water also in the exhaust stream. I am not sure how well they work if some of the water drains out thru the y-pipe before getting to the silencer.

I would want to hear a V-8 running them before buying. They're pretty expensive....

Last edited:

alldodge

Staff member
I have thru hull exhaust on my cruiser because I need it with a big block. Also have muffler tips which helps lower the db level but is still up there. Also have captains call so when I'm in the Marina or going to tie up to another boat it's fairly quite. At cruise speed I loos .3 to .5 mph when I close the exhaust. If you have a small block with an exhaust tube instead of a exhaust tube you should be fine so far as performance. If you have a big block with anything more then standard build you may or may not need thru hull

pachanga27

Seaman Apprentice
Possibly you should take a look at what is called the "water lift muffler" ... My boat is a Sea Ray Pachanga 27 has twin 5.7s with two water lift mufflers in it. This was a stock arrangement from Sea Ray.. I didn't add them. The exhaust from the engine is routed through the mufflers which are amounted in the engine bay and then they exit through the hull on each stern corner right above the water line. While the exhaust is not "quiet" it certain is not close to loud. At idle... just a nice rumble from the two engines. at speed - on plane ...again just a nice exhaust note that says... yea... This is a V8 ... but not obtrusive in any way. Reminds me of the old Hush Thrush Mufflers from the 70's and 80's. Personally -- I would not have open exhausts... much too annoying to me when a boat idles by with twin Big Blocks and the exhaust is loud as . well ... it is just too loud.

Colehan0929

Recruit
Thanks to all, seems this thing may be a bit to loud and iritating, considering I dont even like a radio on my boat lol

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner
Thanks to all, seems this thing may be a bit to loud and iritating, considering I dont even like a radio on my boat lol

Well, it WILL be loud if you use thru-hulls. Mine was DEAFENING!(with the Capts Call activated in the thru-hull mode)

If you don't want the noise all the time, you'd have to install with Capts Call or other exhaust diversion system. Plan on an additional $800-1000 for the system.

Good luck!

Rick