First non GM block Merc.

RotaryRacer

Lieutenant
Yeah, this isn't actually the "first" non GM block Mercruiser has used.

They used Ford blocks quite often back in the 70s-80s.

Also, they made their own 4 cylinder back in the 70s-80s also.

So much for inexpensive universal parts. A completely custom new engine will inevitably have more expensive parts than engines used in millions of boats, cars and trucks over the years.

But that is the cost of progress. On paper the specs of this engine actually look very promising.

rallyart

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Very nice to see. It's a big venture to be developing, casting and assembling a modern engine. The old Merc 470 was their own design but it disappeared in the '80's

oldjeep

Admiral
Yup, end of an era. Indmar is starting the switch to the Ford Raptor engines for 2015 and starting to phase out the 5.7L

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Well, the specs look pretty good. Looks to be the replacement for the 4.3LX, however, they cite the replacement for the 5.0L block. Of course we will now be required to buy almost all parts from Mercury (manifolds, belts, alternators, starters, water pumps etc.), at least until the aftermarket gets up and running. That will clearly add to the maintenance cost.

As a point of fact...I do not think the 4.3LX block had cooling water circulate in the intake manifold. The V8 motors did, if I remember correctly.

I wonder if GM is moving to aluminum blocks has anything to do with this move by Merc?

agallant80

Commander
I think I am screwed. Not only do I have a 5.0 block which it looks like Merc will be dumping but I also have the cats on mine. Some how I have a feeling that during the life time of this boat something will have to be changed out on it like going to non cat exhaust and getting a different ECU. Just looking online I can't find the manifolds for my engine (not that they need replacment). I think the plan is to just run her until they fail and replace the whole thing when it does.

oldjeep

Admiral
Well, the specs look pretty good. Looks to be the replacement for the 4.3LX, however, they cite the replacement for the 5.0L block. Of course we will now be required to buy almost all parts from Mercury (manifolds, belts, alternators, starters, water pumps etc.), at least until the aftermarket gets up and running. That will clearly add to the maintenance cost.

As a point of fact...I do not think the 4.3LX block had cooling water circulate in the intake manifold. The V8 motors did, if I remember correctly.

I wonder if GM is moving to aluminum blocks has anything to do with this move by Merc?

GM is dropping production of the 5.7L blocks this year, so the only remaining choices from GM are the bigger buck engines (6.0,LS3, LSA).

garbageguy

Lieutenant Commander
So does that suggest I rebuild my carb'd 5.7 (runs fine, but getting old and tired, lots of blow-by, consuming oil) and keep it as long as possible as a collector's item, or run the 5.7 til it dies then re-power with something else?

Slip Away

Lieutenant
This 4.5L V6 engine was released back in June of this year, Boattest is a little late to the party with their article.

oldjeep

Admiral
So does that suggest I rebuild my carb'd 5.7 (runs fine, but getting old and tired, lots of blow-by, consuming oil) and keep it as long as possible as a collector's item, or run the 5.7 til it dies then re-power with something else?

I don't think that the world is going to run out of remanufactured 350's in my lifetime.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Oldjeep, So if GM is dropping the 5.7L blocks, are they keeping the 5.0L blocks, or have they already dropped them?

oldjeep

Admiral
Oldjeep, So if GM is dropping the 5.7L blocks, are they keeping the 5.0L blocks, or have they already dropped them?

Pretty sure that one is getting dropped as well. Not sure why anyone was using them in the first place.

Slip Away

Lieutenant
If you read the article, the 4.5L will replace the 5.0L by the end of 2015.
Also, GM is not getting out of the marine block business, since the blocks they used were truck blocks, marinized at the engine builder's facilities. Plus Volvo is using the new Alum Block engines that GM supplies now.

Last edited:

oldjeep

Admiral
I'm curious to see what they offer in the tow sports category or if they just give up. Mercury has been pretty irrelevant in that space for years.

Idlespeedonly

Senior Chief Petty Officer
With todays technology just about any company can build an engine. I am surprised they waited this long. They were pretty successful with the 4 valve 350 in the early nineties.
I have no doubt it will be a fine engine, I think the parts will be different story.

doyall

Petty Officer 1st Class
Quote: "The block and heads were designed by Mercury but will be cast by a third party foundry supplying them to Fond Du Lac."

Want to bet who the third party casting these major components is?

doyall

Petty Officer 1st Class
... Of course we will now be required to buy almost all parts from Mercury (manifolds, belts, alternators, starters, water pumps etc.), at least until the aftermarket gets up and running. That will clearly add to the maintenance cost. ...

If they patent their proprietary parts (which could be substantial, if they have in fact designed their own block and heads) there will be no aftermarket for some time to come without payment of royalties.

Cha-ching!

oldjeep

Admiral
If they patent their proprietary parts (which could be substantial, if they have in fact designed their own block and heads) there will be no aftermarket for some time to come without payment of royalties.

Cha-ching!

Either cha-ching, or smart consumers will order their boats with more common engines.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Oldjeep, We see so many twin screw 30-32 footers with 305 CID motors. We also see many 24-26 foot cruisers with a single 305/Alpha. The former are OK in performance. The latter are dogs. The 24-26 foot cruisers would really would a 454CID motor to perform well.

If those 4.5L Merc motors can really replace the power and torque of the 305s, the weight savings would help those boats plane.

However, I do agree with you that most boats with 305s would benefit from the 350CID motors. I cannot believe the cost would be much more, if anything.