When will the new 4.5L MPI be available? Anyone heard?

gt2003

Petty Officer 1st Class
I was cruising around the Mercury website and noticed they have a 4.5L, 250 HP, MPI motor listed. Anyone heard if/when this will be available. It looks interesting!

Fun Times

Staff member
New MerCruiser 4.5L Engine Boasts Complete Mercury Design/Build
Details
Created: Monday, 16 June 2014 17:55
Written by Matt Trulio

Completely designed and manufactured in house by Mercury Marine, the new MerCruiser 4.5L stern drive engine was unveiled in front of members of the national marine media moments ago during a press event at the company's headquarters in Fond du Lac, Wis. Reportedly 130 pounds lighter than a V-8 5.0L small-block engine, the 4.5L pumps out 250 hp, which is comparable to the power output of its heavier 5L cousin.
mercruiser4.5.jpg

Designed and manufactured in house by Mercury Marine, the new MerCruiser 4.5L stern drive engine was unveiled at press event this evening.
"There isn't a single GM part on this engine," said Brett Martin, a MerCruiser product application manager at Mercury Marine. "It's not a marine engine based on an automotive platform, it's not an LS engine. In the 18 years I've been here, I think it's the best MerCruiser engine we've ever built.
"We saved a lot of weight on the intake manifold," he added. "And the 4.5L can be freshwater or raw-water cooled."
"We are proud to introduce the next generation of stern-drive technology with this ground-breaking new engine," said John Pfeifer, the president of Mercury, in a press release from the company. "This engine was purpose-built for marine use."
Major components of the MerCruiser 4.5L engine include a newly designed rear-facing throttle body, anti-whistle throttle plate, engine cover and mounts, lightweight flywheel, fuel supply module and structural oil pan. According the release, all of those elements work together to deliver superior idle and smoothness and low noise and vibration.
"Mercury Marine has taken the initiative to design a lightweight, high-displacement V-6 marine engine that is not dependent on automotive technology," said Buck Pegg, one of the founders of Chaparral Boats, in the release. "That is not just great, that is outstanding."
The MerCruiser 4.5L is the first V-6 stern-drive that's compatible with SmartCraft Digital Throttle & Shift for immediate throttle response and smooth shifting throughout the rpm band. An option for the 4.5L V-6 with DTS, Joystick Piloting provides easy docking and low-speed maneuverability.
The 4.5L V-6 also offers Adaptive Speed Control (ASC), which automatically maintains the set rpm point regardless of load or condition changes, such as tight turns, tow sports and lower speeds on plane. The result is increased throttle response and a "sportier" feel for the driver, according to the release, who no longer has to make continual throttle-control adjustments.
To guard the 4.5L V-6 from corrosion, the engine was built cast-iron componentry wherever the engine encounters seawater and corrosion-resistant aluminum and composites everywhere else. Digital rather than analog sensors are used throughout the engine. As with all MerCruiser engines, the 4.5L stern-drive comes with a standard three-year corrosion warranty plus Mercury's limited manufacturer's warranty of up to two years. The 4.5L can be installed in single- and twin-engine applications and is compatible with company's full series of Alpha and Bravo drives.
At present, the 4.5L is purely a MerCruiser engine product. Mercury Racing, the largest manufacturer of high-performance marine engines in the world, is not adding a "high-output" version of the new MerCruiser stern-drive engine platform to its line anytime soon.
Said Erik Christiansen, Mercury Racing's general manager, "We have no plans for developing anything off the (4.5L) platform at this time."
$13,100 For an Alpha package at full retail, 1 year warranty is all that is offered at this time.

Last edited:

Fun Times

Staff member
The new MerCruiser 4.5L, from Mercury Marine, will NOT be found in any automotive incarnation.
Mercury is confronting the reality that its inboard engine supplier, GM Powertrain, may soon be discontinuing some of the affordable base engines it has offered for years. The auto industry has a laser focus on meeting new federal fuel mileage standards that peak with a CAFE (Corporate Average Fuel Economy) standard of 54.5 mpg in 2025. Note than most half-ton pickup trucks are now equipped with high-revving V6 engines with VVT (variable valve timing), complex active fuel management controls and six-speed automatic transmissions. Mercury took a similar path when GM dropped its 8.1-liter engine. Rather than adopt the new GM LS3 6.2-liter V8, Mercury began assembling its own 8.2L based on an aftermarket block because it felt those “big block” cubic inches were essential for marine duty.
€œThe automobile industry is focused on squeezing that last one or two percent of fuel economy from its powertrains,€ said David Foulkes, Mercury VP of Product Development, Engineering and Racing, who spent 17 years with Ford Motor Company before joining Mercury in 2007. €œMuch of the technology that will get the auto companies to 54.5 mpg does not add value to a marine engine, which typically operates at much higher engine speed and load than an auto engine. New auto engine designs are adding weight and friction that don't help us.€
Unlike the GM Powertrain engines sourced by Mercury and Volvo-Penta that dominate the sterndrive and gas inboard market, this new MerCruiser engine was designed from the oil pan up for marine use. It'€™s a small-block style engine, with a cast iron block, pushrod valve actuation, and two valves per cylinder. The cylinder heads and intake manifold are aluminum and are cast by Mercury in its own foundry. The iron block is cast by a supplier. Bore and stroke are 4.0 x 3.6 inches (101 x 92mm). The engine will be offered with raw-water or fresh-water cooling, is compatible with MerCruiser Alpha and Bravo One/Two/Three outdrives, and can be rigged with cable or SmartCraft DTS controls. With DTS comes the option of Joystick Piloting for twin-engine installations.
In its lightest configuration - raw-water cooled with an Alpha drive – the 4.5 weighs 940 pounds, which is 134 pounds less than the 5.0L V8, according to Mercury. That'€™s a big weight difference in a mid-size runabout, and a really significant advantage for the 4.5L in a twin installation. The 4.5L is also about four inches shorter in length than the 5.0L, so boat builders who commit to the 4.5L package can also gain four inches of cockpit space if they’re willing to modify the interior of the boat.
The 4.5L has a WOT range of 4800 to 5200 rpm. Foulkes says that while the 4.5L makes less peak torque than the 5.0 V8, its torque curve is broader and flatter than that of the V8, good for mid-range power in the marine cruising rpm zone. An intricate scroll-type intake manifold is cast with the lost foam process (an area of Mercury expertise) and contributes to that broad torque curve. Mercury designed the intake manifold to place the throttle body facing aft so intake sound, which can'€™t be muffled much due to US Coast Guard flame arrestor regulations, radiates away from the cockpit. Mercury says other noise-reducing features include new engine mounts, and the rigid structure of the cast-aluminum oil pan. A special lightweight flywheel reduces the clunk€ sound when shifting into gear. The engine also features a new water pump that Mercury says is smaller, stronger and more efficient than previous designs, and is self-draining.
Another marine-specific feature of the 4.5L is the arrangement of key consumer €œtouch points€ on a bar in the upper front of the engine,€“ the dip stick, oil filter, oil fill and power steering fill€“ along with a detailed service label with a QR code for viewing maintenance how-to videos on a smart phone. The valve train is maintenance-free, and this engine does not require a traditional 20-hour service. The 4.5L is equipped with the same air-pressure drain system found on the MerCruiser 350 MAG, which allows the owner to clear most of the water from the engine to extend service at the end of the season when freezing temperatures could occur.
To provide a handy comparison of the 4.5L and the 5.0L engines, Mercury was kind enough (or clever enough) to provide a pair of Sea Ray 220 Sundeck boats with the two engines, in each case mated to a Bravo Three drive with a 2.2:1 gear ratio.
SeaRay 220 Sundeck
LOA: 22 - 6
Beam: 8 -€™ 4€
Fuel Level: 27 gallons
MerCruiser 4.5L (22.5 Pitch Props)
0 - 30 mph: 9.3 seconds. Top Speed: 44.8 mph. MPG @ 3500 rpm: 3.9
MerCruiser 5.0L (24.0 Pitch Props)
0 - 30 mph:10.4 seconds. Top Speed: 49.1 mph. MPG @ 3500 rpm: 3.5
The numbers reflect what we saw in impromptu drag races on the water – the 220 Sundeck powered by the 4.5L was a little quicker out of the hole, but the 5.0L would eventually catch up with superior top speed, although the speed difference didn’t always seem as dramatic as the test data indicates. The 4.5L delivered better fuel economy at about 30 mph despite running smaller props. The 4.5L was significantly quieter at cruising speeds. At 4000 rpm we measured 88 dB-A for the 4.5L compared to 91 dB-A for the 5.0L. On the dB-A scale that’s almost twice as loud.
On the water I got to sample another new 4.5L feature, Adaptive Speed Control, which automatically holds engine rpm as load changes, so you don’t need to modulate the throttle when putting the boat into a turn, for example, to hold a steady speed – handy when towing tubers, I guess.
Lighter is always better in my book, and with this engine Mercury seems to have optimized the tricky balance between weight and power. A bonus I was told the new MerCruiser 4.5L will cost about the same at the 5.0L V8 when supplied to boat builders.

Last edited:

gt2003

Petty Officer 1st Class
"A bonus I was told the new MerCruiser 4.5L will cost about the same at the 5.0L V8 when supplied to boat builders"

From this last sentence, I'm GUESSING that the boat builders don't have it yet?

JustJason

Vice Admiral
Mercury Marine - Brett Martin said:
There isn't a single GM part on this engine," said Brett Martin, a MerCruiser product application manager at Mercury Marine. "It's not a marine engine based on an automotive platform, it's not an LS engine. In the 18 years I've been here, I think it's the best MerCruiser engine we've ever built..

I think he means the 2nd engine Mercruiser has ever built (from scratch). WIth the first being the 470..... and we all know how well that one worked out. When the 470 is the only comparison... I'm pretty sure MCM could have build a lawnmower engine and called it "the best we've ever built"

thumpar

Admiral
I think he means the 2nd engine Mercruiser has ever built (from scratch). WIth the first being the 470..... and we all know how well that one worked out. When the 470 is the only comparison... I'm pretty sure MCM could have build a lawnmower engine and called it "the best we've ever built"
When I first heard about Merc making there own engines I thought of the 470 and how well that went. If GM is discontinuing there line used as marine engines what is Volvo going to do?

JustJason

Vice Admiral
When I first heard about Merc making there own engines I thought of the 470 and how well that went. If GM is discontinuing there line used as marine engines what is Volvo going to do?

Volvos already adapted GM's 6.0 liter. And they crank it up to the tune of 430 horsepower. Volvo has used it for a few years now... So far so good. But like anything else, you have to wait and see.

In the long run Volvo isn't in any kind of real trouble if GM stops supplying blocks for any reason. One of the biggest differences between Merc and Volvo and Volvo has always been a large engine manufacturer, and they have been for 100+ years. They are also involved in so many other industries that they can easily pull technology from other industries. All they have to do is decide what platform they already have that they think will work well. Were Mercruisers butt would pucker if there was an engine supply problem, because Mercury Marine is really good at outboards... but not large inboards.

Last edited:

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,..... I think I'll wait to see how this New 4.50 works out,..... It's gotta be better than the ole 470,....

Question is how much better,....
I bet replacement parts will be cheap, 'n easily available,.... :rolleyes:

Hey, whatever happened to that New motor a few years ago, the Vaser, or Lazor, or whatever it was, a tiny 4 banger,..??..??

Alumarine

Captain
Hey, whatever happened to that New motor a few years ago, the Vaser, or Lazor, or whatever it was, a tiny 4 banger,..??..??

I saw a Lund with one in it at a boat show about 6 years ago.
If you google "Lund 1700 Pro Sport Vazer" you can see it.
I wonder how many they sold if any?
There are parts listings for the motor and drive out there.

Fun Times

Staff member
They sold just enough Vazers that they'll have to keep parts, tools, service manuals on hand for 10 years by law before sweeping it under the rug for good.

It started out as an idea to put the engine under the deck of a pontoon to gain more room. Next they hoped it would have fit in smaller fiberglass boats but then the manufactures complained that they'd have to redesign the rear of the boat size wise to fit the Vazer so it didn't go far at all here in the states. It was a GM based engine. http://forums.iboats.com/forum/engin...45#post3942445

The Vazer was produced, and it was even sold on export (from the US).

Of course it was on the Mercruiser high performance side of Mercury Racing but they have developed their own engine from scratch all in house called the 1350 so the process has slowly begun with Mercruiser. http://www.mercuryracing.com/sterndrives/hp1350.php

Good points about Volvo Jason.:)

Last edited:

K-2

Chief Petty Officer
What does the 4.5L weigh with a Bravo 1? What are the torque specs for this engine, I can't find any hp/torque/RPM graphs .
I called a couple dealers and they were no help, didn't know much more than what the MerCruiser web site says.

Tail_Gunner

Admiral

Volvo will be using GM's new 4.3 ecotech rumor has it...

Tail_Gunner

Admiral
Ayuh,..... I think I'll wait to see how this New 4.50 works out,..... It's gotta be better than the ole 470,....

Question is how much better,....
I bet replacement parts will be cheap, 'n easily available,.... :rolleyes:

;)..................:laugh:

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
I would let someone else be the guinea pig for the first few years.

ouachitaman

Cadet
GM is building their own marine engines. I would rather have one of these than a mercruiser in house built engine.

Tail_Gunner

Admiral
:D,,At the same time dont forget merc is very capable of doing merc engine's very...they have written the book on off shore racing so to speak.

Reactions: K-2