Winterization question

nateo

Petty Officer 1st Class
I realize the bet method for a stern drive is probably to get one of those 5 gal jug and pump through outdrive, but also a little more expensive. I was thinking about doing the method of draining water from exhaust risers and pouring antifreeze in hoses. Has anyone heard of this method causing any issues over a Ohio winter? Or anywhere for that matter.

rickryder

Commander
I drain as much water as I can then hook up my muffs and a piece of hose and jamb a funnel in the end. I get R/V antifreeze pour it in the funnel...start engine and idle while keeping funnel full. once I see pink coming out prop/exhaust I shut it down.....done. Works in NW NJ. BTW R/V antifreeze is cheaper that auto..and eco friendly :)

wellcraft-classic210

Master Chief Petty Officer
This gets debated a lot -- Many point out the air does not freeze. You are right in saying the bet method is not optimal.

If you pull the drain plugs on your block & exhaust and be sure to clear any rust debris that tends to collect with a small screwdriver etc. Many would say that's adequate.

I do like to follow up with some antifreeze through the hoses-- on some engines a little water can get trapped in the engine water pump and power steering cooler on the input hose. flushing the antifreeze through and watching it come out of the block, manifolds and outdrive gives me piece of mind during the long winters here in VT.

thumpar

Admiral
You should never use the muffs to put AF in the engine. If you do want to use AF drain the engine and pour it into the thermostat housing. I just drain mine. Air doesn't freeze at any temp on earth.

DaveG55

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Nope, air don't freeze and lots of guys drain well and forget it.
Mercrusier's website reccomends r/v antifreeze be poured into the hoses to help prevent corosion. So, pick your preference and go for it. Just be sure you get the water out!
Now a word on antifreeze. Not all r/v antifreeze is created equally. If you decide to use it then only use the kind made with proplyene glycol, not alcohol. Next, proplyene glycol will freeze. But, it DOES NOT expand so it doesn't matter that it does freeze. Finally, get an antifreeze that has a low enough temp rating to protect for your climate. Higher temp ratings have a lower ratio of propylene glycol to filler (water). For example, and the numbers are only examples-not necessarily accurate, -30 antifreeze may only be 60% propylene glycol where -100 antifreeze will be closer to 90% propylene glycol.
Also, keep in mind that any water left in the engine will dilute the antifreeze so be sure to compensate by using a lower temp antifreeze than you think you need.

Or just throughly drain your engine and let it go at that...

UncleWillie

Captain
This is my "Belt and Suspenders" method.
If you are looking for a quick and dirty method, this Isn't It!
If involves removing the Thermostat, draining the block, Flushing with Antifreeze, and Draining again.

The "Bucket and Hose through the Muffs" method works just fine.
This method gets very BAD Reviews when done improperly.
It is imperative that the engine has been drained before flushing. Not Optional!

Remove the Thermostat. Hot Engine or Not, as soon as the cold Antifreeze touches it, it will close.
Place a kiddie pool under the drive to catch the Antifreeze as it comes out the exhaust.

I place a plastic ball valve on the end of a short piece of garden hose.
Prime the hose and then close the valve to hold the prime while you attach it to the muffs.
Priming by mouth suction is doable. Propylene Glycol (PG) is a major ingredient in Nyquil and tastes about the same.
As long as you ingest less than a Pint, it is harmless. It just tastes bad. (Unless you Like Nyquil!)

Place the bucket up high on the back of the boat and run the hose down to the muffs.
When ready to flush, open the valve and then start the engine. Idle speed Only!
The water pump's impeller will suck the Antifreeze into the engine at an impressive rate.

You will need about 6 gallons of Antifreeze.
A 5 gallon bucket will hold about 4 gallons reasonably.
Once the engine is started, dump the other 2 gallons into the bucket quickly.
Start with a cold engine as you will not get any cooling of the exhaust until about 5 gallons have been pumped in. (30-60 Seconds).

Drain the block again and save the Antifreeze for use next year.
This is the "Air Don't Freeze" Part of the process.
Any remaining Antifreeze will have displaced any water in the low spots that didn't completely drain.
The block was designed for automotive use, and was never intended to be100% completely drain-able.

After draining, the old antifreeze can be filtered through an old T-Shirt and saved for use next year.
I have antifreeze going on its third use. I added a Gallon of -200 Last year to strengthen the mix.
It will not even form slush at the -5F of my freezer.

Test a sample of your Antifreeze after flushing by placing a sample in the Freezer.
It may turn solid but you should be able to push a cold Butter Knife into it without much force.
-50F Antifreeze starts freezing at -16F and is a solid, very firm like a snowball, but not as hard as ice, at 0F.
If temperature below 0F are possible in your area, then the common -50F Antifreeze may not be sufficient if it has been diluted by any water remaining in the drained block. It is available in -50, -60 -100, and full strength -200F concentrations.

PG (Pink) Antifreeze is available at a discount this time of year. A case of 6 gallons can be had for ~$25.
Be wary of the antifreeze sold for under $3 a gallon. It is often Alcohol based. Be sure you get PG Antifreeze.
With Alcohol Antifreeze, over time, the alcohol evaporates leaving only the water. Bad.
With PG Antifreeze, the Water evaporates first, leaving a stronger mix of PG. Very Good!

stonyloam

Vice Admiral
I realize the bet method for a stern drive is probably to get one of those 5 gal jug and pump through outdrive, but also a little more expensive. I was thinking about doing the method of draining water from exhaust risers and pouring antifreeze in hoses. Has anyone heard of this method causing any issues over a Ohio winter? Or anywhere for that matter.
Actually that is probably the WORST method of winterizing! Proper winterizing starts with draining the water from the engine block and manifolds. Once that is done you may do as you wish with the antifreeze , that includes not using it at all. Find the draining instructions for your engine in the appropriate Mercruiser manual.

achris

More fish than mountain goat
Actually that is probably the WORST method of winterizing! Proper winterizing starts with draining the water from the engine block and manifolds. Once that is done you may do as you wish with the antifreeze , that includes not using it at all. Find the draining instructions for your engine in the appropriate Mercruiser manual.

+1....

camalot

Petty Officer 2nd Class
We winterized over 200 boats last year and the winter was freaking cold in Canada, none had any antifreeze added. Drained as per manual and your good to go, antifreeze is BS and using muffs keeps us busy in the spring replacing engines lol.

Bondo

Staff member
We winterized over 200 boats last year and the winter was freaking cold in Canada, none had any antifreeze added. Drained as per manual and your good to go, antifreeze is BS and using muffs keeps us busy in the spring replacing engines lol.

Ayuh,..... Antifreeze winterizations are a marketin' ploy by the Marine Industry, 'cause they know Boater's are overly anal 'bout somethings,.....

It increases their bottom lines, Emensely, on both ends, whether it leads to Success, or Failure,....

Air just Don't freeze,.... Proper drainin', 'n gravity is All it takes,.... ;)

achris

Ayuh,..... Antifreeze winterizations are a marketin' ploy by the Marine Industry, 'cause they know Boater's are overly anal 'bout somethings,.....

It increases their bottom lines, Emensely, on both ends, whether it leads to Success, or Failure,....

I think we need to revisit 'Occam's razor'....

achris

Ok,I was having a bad day. If I started correcting all the spelling and grammatical errors on here, I'd have a job for life. A few years back I did try, but it fell on very deaf ears.... If I recall, it was a lack of correct punctuation that I was trying to fix. Long posts that had no full stops or commas... A mission doomed to fail before it started. :facepalm:

Last edited:

Bondo

Staff member
Ok,I was having a bad day. If I started correcting all the spelling and grammatical errors on here, I'd have a job for life. A few years back I did try, but it fell on very deaf ears.... If I recall, it was a lack of correct punctuation that I was trying to fix. Long posts that had no full stops or commas... A mission doomed to fail before it started. :facepalm:

Ayuh,.... I've been a crusader for punctuation, 'n paragraphs for Years,...
It makes readin' a post, Soooo much Easier,....

Now insteada bytchin' 'bout it, I just don't read, hard readin' posts,....
If somebody wants My help, it starts with makin' it Easy for me to do,...... ;)
I don't/ Won't do alphabet soup anymore,.....

achris

Ayuh,.... I've been a crusader for punctuation, 'n paragraphs for Years,...
It makes readin' a post, Soooo much Easier,....

Now insteada bytchin' 'bout it, I just don't read, hard readin' posts,....
If somebody wants My help, it starts with makin' it Easy for me to do,...... ;)
I don't/ Won't do alphabet soup anymore,.....

+1... That's the stance I've also taken....

Last edited:

Starcraft5834

Lieutenant Commander

Nuthin mor eye kan think of to ad then this :rolleyes:. as the Nike add says....... "just drain it".. hmmmm maybe I got that rong....:thumb:

tinkerguy70

Petty Officer 2nd Class
After I learned these guys where right, I only drain. I do use RV antifreeze though......in my RV......not in my boat engine.