First time winterizing jitters

BRG25

Chief Petty Officer
Stock 2000 Mercruiser 4.3 V6 carbureted.
Motor Serial# 0L642312
Drive Serial# 0L722749

This is the first year I will be doing this myself. I've read Don's sticky and also have the Mercruiser Manual 25 downloaded. Everything is very straightforward and I feel confident I can do it. I understand about the "Air don't freeze" statement and I have pulled all 5 drain plugs and poked each with a screw driver. I've also pulled the hose off of the power steering cooler and drained that as well. My exhaust manifolds are 2 years old and they didn't drain a whole heck lot of water, and that makes me nervous. My mechanic has is the past said he back filled the engine with antifreeze until is came out of the exhaust. "If" I wanted to do this, is it as simple as removing the thermostat housing and pour? Fill each of the 4 hoses as well? I know this topic has been beaten to death 5000 times, humor me :)

Please don't suggest running antifreeze through the muffs...that's just stupid. Thanks!

Last edited:

Bondo

Staff member
Stock 2000 Mercruiser 4.3 V6 carbureted.
Motor Serial# 0L642312
Drive Serial# 0L722749

This is the first year I will be doing this myself. I've read Don's sticky and also have the Mercruiser Manual 25 downloaded. Everything is very straightforward and I feel confident I can do it. I understand about the "Air don't freeze" statement and I have pulled all 5 drain plugs and poked each with a screw driver. I've also pulled the hose off of the power steering cooler and drained that as well. My exhaust manifolds are 2 years old and they didn't drain a whole heck lot of water, and that makes me nervous. My mechanic has is the past said he back filled the engine with antifreeze until is came out of the exhaust. "If" I wanted to do this, is it as simple as removing the thermostat housing and pour? Fill each of the 4 hoses as well? I know this topic has been beaten to death 5000 times, humor me :)

Please don't suggest running antifreeze through the muffs...that's just stupid. Thanks!

Ayuh,... Do ya have a hose from the t-stat, to the bottom of the manifold,..??

If so, pull just that hose, 'n pour in antifreeze,...
With the drain open, it'll run right out,... close the drain, 'n it'll run out the exhaust, when the manifold/ riser is full,....

'ell, just pour water into that hose, with the drain open, that'll prove, or not whether it's drained,...

BRG25

Chief Petty Officer
Yes there are hoses from the t-stat to the bottom of the manifolds...I just didn't get much water out when I drained them and it makes me nervous. The old batwings drained much more water.

thumpar

Admiral
I just drain mine. Make sure you take the lower hose to the recirc pump off to drain that. Once I am done I will kick the starter over for about half a second with the lanyard switch in off to make sure there is not a pocket of water in the pumps. Tomorrow I will be pulling it out of the garage and doing it for the winter.

BRG25

Chief Petty Officer
Ayuh,... Do ya have a hose from the t-stat, to the bottom of the manifold,..??

If so, pull just that hose, 'n pour in antifreeze,...
With the drain open, it'll run right out,... close the drain, 'n it'll run out the exhaust, when the manifold/ riser is full,....

'ell, just pour water into that hose, with the drain open, that'll prove, or not whether it's drained,...

Bondo - I know you live up in the Thousand Islands just a bit north of me. I've been up there in the Winter...damn cold up there. All you do is drain like I did right? No problems with the exhaust manifolds? I've read several stories on here where people stated they drained their engine and it cracked anyway. I've had this boat for 12 years and it's time I do it myself. It's just gotten too damn expensive to pay someone else.

BRG25

Chief Petty Officer
I just drain mine. Make sure you take the lower hose to the recirc pump off to drain that. Once I am done I will kick the starter over for about half a second with the lanyard switch in off to make sure there is not a pocket of water in the pumps. Tomorrow I will be pulling it out of the garage and doing it for the winter.

My engine happens to have an elbow with a drain plug going into the water pump. I'll bump the engine like you suggest. Thanks.

thumpar

Admiral
Most of the bad winterizing that went wrong stories have to do with people either not doing it or trying the suck AF through the drive. Air doesn't freeze. I am on my 9th year of just draining.