Best place to buy Mercury/Quicksilver Oil?

superbenk

Commander
Where's the best place to buy my Mercury/Quicksilver engine oil? Is ~$15/qt really what I should expect to pay? That's what I tend to see online at sites like Amazon. In my old boat I just ran straight 30 weight, but with the new boat I've been putting in the recommended Mercury or Quicksilver (I know they're the same thing) High Performance oil (25-40W, I think). So I'm just trying to figure out what's normal for this stuff & where best to buy it from.

Really not meaning for this to be another "oil thread" if possible.

Also, not sure it's relevant, but before someone asks... I have a 5.0L TKS in a 2008 Four Winns H200.

Last edited:

achris

More fish than mountain goat
Where's the best place to buy my Mercury/Quicksilver engine oil? ....

If you like throwing money away, then go to a Merc dealer and pay what they ask. If you have respect for your money, try Walmart, Autozone, Or any of the places that sell 25W-40 engine oil at a reasonable price. You can use synthetic or (as I do) diesel engine oil with an SJ petrol engine rating.

And yes, this WILL turn into 'another oil thread'....

Chris.....

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
I buy the Quicksilver 25w - 40 marine oil at my local Wal-Mart and it's $7 a qt for the regular oil not synthetic.

I also get the AC Delco oil filter there for about 7 bucks too.

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner
Also, not sure it's relevant, but before someone asks... I have a 5.0L TKS in a 2008 Four Winns H200.

I don't think it applies to your engine but if you have CAT manifolds, make sure you get oil that is "right" for a CAT engine.....

superbenk

Commander
I certainly applaud everyone's strength in resisting the typical oil thread discussion! I'll go check Walmart.

Fun Times

Staff member
I buy the Quicksilver 25w - 40 marine oil at my local Wal-Mart and it's $7 a qt for the regular oil not synthetic.

Interesting, I've never noticed quicksilver engine oil in any of my local Wal-Mart stores in CA, only the quicksilver 90w gear lube. Looking online it says Not carried in your local Los Angeles store. Superbenk, you may want to check your local Wal-Mart listings.;)

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Quicksilver-SAE25W40-Marine-4-Stroke-Engine-Oil/19717456
http://www.walmart.com/search/?query=quicksilver engine oil&typeahead=quicksilver en

One of Merc's latest oil bulletins if interested,
Oil Requirements for Gasoline Engines and Preventing
Contamination of Engines with Emissions Control
Models Affected
Model Serial Number Range
Gasoline Sterndrive All
Gasoline Inboard All
Gasoline Tow Sports All
Gasoline Sterndrive with Emissions Control All
Gasoline Inboard with Emissions Control All
Gasoline Tow Sports with Emissions Control All

Situation
The following crankcase oil recommendation includes newly available engine oils, and
supersedes all previous crankcase oil recommendations for MerCruiser gasoline engines.
This service bulletin contains the best available recommendation from Mercury Marine as
of February 2008. If the owner's manual, which is updated from time to time, is not
consistent with recommendations made in this bulletin, follow the recommendation of this
bulletin.

Newly introduced engine packages with Emissions Control have catalysts that will be
rendered ineffective if they become contaminated with certain elements or compounds.
These packages require special lubricants as described in this bulletin.
Engine Oil Recommendations for MerCruiser Gasoline Engines
For optimum engine performance and maximum protection, use the following oil:
Application Recommended Oil
All MerCruiser engines Mercury MerCruiser Full‑Synthetic Engine Oil, 20W‑40, NMMA FC‑W rated

IMPORTANT: Lubrication requirements for catalyzed engines differ from the requirements
for non‑catalyzed engines. Some marine‑grade lubricants contain high levels of
phosphorus, which can damage the catalyst system on MerCruiser engines. Although
these high‑phosphorus lubricants may allow acceptable engine performance, exposure
over time will damage the catalyst. Catalysts damaged by lubricants containing high levels
of phosphorus may not be covered by the MerCruiser Limited Warranty.
Oil Requirements for Gasoline Engines and Preventing Contamination of Engines with Emissions Control
Page 2 of 2

If Mercury MerCruiser Full‑Synthetic, 20W‑40 oil is unavailable, use the following
lubricants, listed in order of recommendation. If you are servicing a catalyst engine, use
these for short periods of time only.
1. Mercury/Quicksilver 25W‑40 Synthetic Blend, NMMA FC‑W–rated 4‑cycle MerCruiser oil
2. Mercury/Quicksilver 25W‑40, NMMA FC‑W–rated 4‑cycle MerCruiser oil
3. Other recognized brands of NMMA FC‑W–rated 4‑cycle oils
4. A good‑grade, straight‑weight detergent automotive oil according to the last row of the
operating chart below.

NOTE: We do not recommend non‑detergent oils, multi‑viscosity oils (other than as
specified), non FC‑W–rated synthetic oils, low‑quality oils, or oils that contain solid additives.

Mercury Full-Synthetic MerCruiser Engine Oil, 20W-40, NMMA FC-W rated
MerCruiser/Quicksilver 25W-40 Synthetic Blend, NMMA FC-W rated 4-cycle MerCruiser oil
Other recognized brands of NMMA FC-W rated oils
SAE 20W
SAE30W
SAE40W
AIR TEMPERATURE
ORDER OF PREFERENCE
(32° F)
0° C
(50° F)
10° C
Mercury/Quicksilver 25W-40, NMMA FC-W rated 4-cycle MerCruiser oil
Preventing Contamination of the Emissions Control System
Catalyst and oxygen sensors can become contaminated, leading to component failure.
Phosphorus, found in some marine‑grade oils, and other compounds will damage or
destroy a catalyst's ability to clean the exhaust. Catalyst‑friendly oil, like Mercury Full
Synthetic MerCruiser Engine Oil, prevents this damage. Approved synthetic oils must be
used in MerCruiser engines with emissions control.
Acetoxy silicone sealants and other compounds in the exhaust stream can damage oxygen
sensors and catalysts. Do not use non‑approved compounds and sealants. Oxime silicone
sealants and Loctite 587 High Performance Blue can be safely used with catalyzed
engines.
Fiberglass, a silica‑based material, can contaminate the catalyst and the oxygen sensors.
To reduce the possibility that the engine will ingest harmful fiberglass and thereby poison
the emission control components, protect the engine from fiberglass dust and debris during
construction and clean‑up.

PS, we'll be moving this topic up to Non-Repair I/O and Inboards Discussions not involving troubles or repair.;)

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner
I certainly applaud everyone's strength in resisting the typical oil thread discussion! I'll go check Walmart.

Well, this isn't REALLY an "oil" thread as it were Like we all know and LOVE!!!
deadhorse.gif

Since he's already made up his mind on the type
thumb.gif
.............the OP is just asking WHERE to buy a particular kind of oil.

thumpar

Admiral
Interesting, I've never noticed quicksilver engine oil in any of my local Wal-Mart stores in CA, only the quicksilver 90w gear lube. Looking online it says Not carried in your local Los Angeles store. Superbenk, you may want to check your local Wal-Mart listings.;)

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Quicksilver-SAE25W40-Marine-4-Stroke-Engine-Oil/19717456
http://www.walmart.com/search/?query=quicksilver engine oil&typeahead=quicksilver en
It is kind of hit and miss as to which stores carry Quicksilver products. My local store just started carrying the high performance lube so I don't have to pay so much for it. They have the filters in stock at our store too. I have already checked stock on it all since the dreaded "W" word is coming up in the next few days.

superbenk

Commander
I don't have cats. It's a carbed engine. I'll check local stock & see what I come up with. May consider a non-Merc synth oil instead (now it's a proper oil thread!).

airshot

Rear Admiral
I buy the Mercruiser 25w40 at both the local marine dealer or my local walmart, I buy it by the gallon it is 24 bucks at walmart and 25.50 at the marine dealer so wherever I am at I pick up a gallon or two.

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral
Gear lube and 25w40 oil are about the ONLY Quicksilver products carried at our local Walmart....

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner
I don't have cats. It's a carbed engine. I'll check local stock & see what I come up with. May consider a non-Merc synth oil instead (now it's a proper oil thread!).
Yeah......but you know...........Mercury has their own secret refining facility and they make their own additives in an even more secret facility in Area 51!!;)

superbenk

Commander
I see Sierra has their own 25W40. I wonder if it's the same manufacturer? I'm having a really hard time finding good deals on Mercury 25w40 and my local Walmart is out of it (including on-line). I can see why these oil threads turn into such a mess - it's an extremely confusing topic with a lot of inconsistency between manufacturers (Merc & VP, for instance), years of production not to mention opinions.

camalot

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I see Sierra has their own 25W40. I wonder if it's the same manufacturer? I'm having a really hard time finding good deals on Mercury 25w40 and my local Walmart is out of it (including on-line). I can see why these oil threads turn into such a mess - it's an extremely confusing topic with a lot of inconsistency between manufacturers (Merc & VP, for instance), years of production not to mention opinions.
Sierra oils are NMMA certified just the same an oil that is bottled with a Mercury label on it, I would think it would come from the same oil manufacture as Mercury and Sierra don't manufacture oil.

http://www.nmma.org/certification/certification/oil/fc-w.aspx

superbenk

Commander
My assumption as well. Regardless, it's what I went with. 1 gallon of Sierra 25W40 is on its way.

agallant80

Commander
$15/qt is a total rip for oil. I see the one gallon jugs all of the time where I am for $25. The gear lube is another story, that is always about $15/qt. By chance were you looking at a quart of the gear lube instead of oil?