What can you tell me about this motor?

jbcurt00

Staff member
Lets try this:
fetch

fetch

fordmugg

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Looks like a volvo penta 5.0 or 5.7 with looks to be a holly carb, and a closed cooling system. But to answer your question yes volvo penta and mercruisers use chevy blocks, either 305 or 350's

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
The drive is volvo. the ignition system is not marine. the carb is unknown with the flame arrestor still bolted to it. the heat exchanger is aftermarket. the in-line fuel filter is also not marine

take the ignition system and the fuel system and you have a bomb.

I really like the wire nut on the ignition wiring

if you really like the boat, I suspect that the motor has been swapped for one out of a car or truck at some point. I would use this for negotiations as you will probably find the starter and alternator are also not marine.

mmetzger1028

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Not much negotiating, guy wants $500 probably take $300, but Id have to rent a truck and trailer for the day to get it to dagmars marina. Got to figure out if I can make it all happen or not.

mmetzger1028

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Engine said it was a Volvo 260 and outdrive was a Volvo 280. Would a car/truck engine even work in a boat?

hall832

Petty Officer 1st Class
Looks like a bucket, Unless you have a emotional attachment to this boat or a lot of money to put into this boat you would be best served letting some other sucker snatch it up.

mmetzger1028

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Bought it........
Basically picked it up for free. Overall the boat is in amazing shape, so even if I need to rebuild the engine or drop a new one in, Im happy with the purchase.........Im sure that may change from time to time ;)

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
No need to rebuild the motor if it runs good. just need to make sure the electrical and fuel system are marine compliant.

FYI - boat motors and truck motors come off the same assembly line. difference is the cam, gaskets, and core plugs

thumpar

Admiral
You will need to fix the fuel lines. There should not be a clear filter like that and normally on a boat of that age the fuel line from pump to carb would be solid metal. It makes me wonder if the fuel pump is marine. You will need to check out the electrical stuff to make sure it is marine rated too. It could be a bomb ready to go off.

My last boat was a Sunrunner. They were build in the city I live in. The quality was pretty decent. I see them all the time. This year I even saw my old boat on the lake and talked with the new owner.

mmetzger1028

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Yeah Im not sure what happened, but just as that visible rubber line drops out of site it is hose clamped to the original metal fuel line.