470 to 5.7 mpg/ pics added

philbullet

Petty Officer 1st Class
I know this would be a big difference in gas consumption be was looking for a lil input?
Ive search but only found from a 470 to a 4.3 is not much difference.
I didn't want this much more power but I found a good deal on a 5.7 and just thinking about jumping on it.

Last edited:

Bondo

Staff member
I know this would be a big difference in gas consumption be was looking for a lil input?
Ive search but only found from a 470 to a 4.3 is not much difference.
I didn't want this much more power but I found a good deal on a 5.7 and just thinking about jumping on it.

Ayuh,..... To push Yer boat through the water, at a given speed, with a given weight in it, takes exactly the same amount of fuel, regardless the motor,.....

If ya go with a V8, 'n never use more than 20% of it's available horsepower, it'll use less fuel than runnin' a 4.3l at 75% of it's available horsepower,.....

philbullet

Petty Officer 1st Class
No Title

Thanks Bondo
If it has efi it must have a computer to control fuel, etc. ,correct? If so where is it located? on motor or in boat some where?
This is the motor if it up load's on here.

Attachments

• photo208899.jpg
    photo208899.jpg
    35.6 KB · Views: 0

philbullet

Petty Officer 1st Class
No Title

photo208900.jpg Boat with a bad transom.

Attachments

• photo208992.jpg
    photo208992.jpg
    16.3 KB · Views: 0
  • photo208993.jpg
    photo208993.jpg
    19.8 KB · Views: 0
  • photo208994.jpg
    photo208994.jpg
    18.9 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner
I would absolutely get the 5.7L EFI engine. It looks like you'd be getting the engine, drive, gimbal etc? That will be a good upgrade from the older 470/Alpha.

It also probably will not use much (if any) more fuel than the 470 unless you do a LOT of full throttle hole-shots.

At medium cruising (planing) speeds the fuel consumption won't be much different from the 470 or any other engine.

It will also start and run MUCH better with the EFI. If it's a good deal, you can always sell all the 470 "stuff" on craigslist, ebay etc......

8 years ago I paid $5k for a complete 7.4L Mercruiser complete with gimbal mount, Bravo III drive, harness, gages, trim pump and accessories etc.

I pulled the 460 OMG King Kobra out of my boat and replaced it with the Mercruiser. I then parted out the OMC stuff over a 3 year period and got a total of $3500 for all the junk!! (and I still have the 2 stainless props that were for the Cobra!)

If you can get a good deal on that package, I would say JUMP ON IT!

Cheers,

Rick

philbullet

Petty Officer 1st Class
No Title

Thanks guys. Well the boat I want to put it in is a older 1982 chris craft that I have set up for trawling for shrimp down here in Louisiana.I only use it for pleasure not comercial.The other good thing is he was asking 2500.00 for everything and emails back n forth said he'll take 1800.00 just wants it gone.
I also can do fiberglass work,it's no problem for me.
Anyone have any idea about the computer?
I post a pic of my boat but it's not a good one.

Attachments

• photo208950.jpg
    photo208950.jpg
    500 bytes · Views: 1

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner
The other good thing is he was asking 2500.00 for everything and emails back n forth said he'll take 1800.00 just wants it gone.
I also can do fiberglass work,it's no problem for me.

If you can get an EFI 5.7L 1999 engine and GEN-II drive for $1800, I would say get it. You should ensure that the block is not cracked (pressure check it etc)

Get yourself a Mercruiser service manual for that model engine and drive so you can familiarize yourself before you look at it.

Absolutely ensure that the ECM is there. They're pretty expensive to replace.

Fiberglas work? Will you be buying the entire boat and engine? Probably not a bad deal if everything is there. But you need to plan on probably re-doing the floor too. There may be a lot of rot. But if the engine/drive is complete and not damaged and fairly low time, $1800 is a swinging deal!

philbullet

Petty Officer 1st Class
Ok thanks, I'll check more into it.but he said everything else was good just the transom and some upholstery, seats. I can presume test fist Iam sure.My brother is a mechanic and has all tools.He is also a Chevy 350 expert.lol I'll keep update, gona probably go look at it this week or weekend.