Stupid Button

scatgo

Petty Officer 1st Class
We all heard of idiot lights but i have what I call a stupid button in my boat. At the bottom of the shifter there is a button that says throttle only. My guess is that if you push this button and maybe have to hold it in you can give it gas without shifting into gear. Is that the reason for this button?

ktbarrentine

Lieutenant
Yes... "Throttle only" button. You merely push it, hold it, then move your throttle fwd and you can let it go. Then you can start your engine with the shift lever out of neutral, and operate the engine (i.e., "give it gas") without operating the prop. It will be "throttle only" until you return the shift lever to the center, neutral position where the button will pop out and let you put the outdrive in gear. I was thinking that you have had this engine running already and have already used this button? Please give us more!!!!

Last edited:

ouachitaman

Cadet
Stupid button? Not if you need to give your old carbed engine a little extra gas to help start it.

achris

More fish than mountain goat
'Stupid button'... That would be the one next to the 'nut behind the wheel'....

airdvr1227

Lieutenant Commander
Indeed it is. Might want to make sure you have water going to your drive first.

four winns 214

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Yes. The throttle only feature allows one to move the shift lever forward without putting the outdrive in gear. Engine speed can then be varied. I'm surprised you can start your boat without using the throttle only feature. I have a 1984 Merc 228R and it will not start unless I advance the throttle at least a little. As mentioned above, be sure water is supplied to the outdrive via a hose and "muffs" if you start the engine, even if it's only for a few seconds, while the boat is on a trailer.

scatgo

Petty Officer 1st Class
Ok Ok. The lose nut behind the wheel just got a little tighter. My guess about a dozen or so more questions and Ill be torqued down to specs. LOL