Lower unit drain/fill kit ... Anyone heard of or used this???

flboat87

Recruit
I have only had one person say they have used this and it really looks like a great product. I'm ready to order but wanted to get some more feedback before I do, so I was hoping some one might have used it. lt is not a real expensive product, I would not see Sierra releasing it and pushing it if it was not as handy as the articles I have read say it is.

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
Not me,looks like they stick put a bit,easy to snag weeds,or a stray line,break off and loose the gearlube....

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,...... Nothin' I need,... I've got a grease rag,....

thumpar

Admiral
I wouldn't want that sticking out the side of my drive. It would be easy for anything in the water to rip it clean off.

robert graham

Admiral
Lower unit drain/fill is already easy....why they try to re-invent the wheel?.... Just to sell a new gimmick?.....Heck, I saw in a catalog an $8 tube of special trailer ball grease!....Bondo can tell you about grease!.....

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral
Lower unit drain/fill is already easy....why they try to re-invent the wheel?.... Just to sell a new gimmick?.....Heck, I saw in a catalog an $8 tube of special trailer ball grease!....Bondo can tell you about grease!.....

If that trailer ball grease would help me avoid running my leg into grease everytime I walk behind my truck, I'd buy some! :D

Bondo

Staff member
If that trailer ball grease would help me avoid running my leg into grease everytime I walk behind my truck, I'd buy some! :D

Ayuh,.... Melted beeswax,..... ;)

Warm the ball with a torch, 'n rub it with a chunk of beeswax,...

As for the oil thing,...
I've got a catchpan, 'n rag for drainin',....
I built an oil pump tank outa a sprayer, 'n it's got the 3/8" 16 thread adapter I found in a dumpster on an old plastic pump,...
A nice sharp wide screwdriver, 'n a rag covers the fill-ups,...

This seems to fall into the Kiss principle,....

robert graham

Admiral
I've seen folks slit a tennis ball and slide it down over the ball to keep grease off pants/legs.....myself, I don't lose much sleep over it....who ever died from a little grease?....

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral
Ayuh,.... Melted beeswax,..... ;)

Warm the ball with a torch, 'n rub it with a chunk of beeswax,...

As for the oil thing,...
I've got a catchpan, 'n rag for drainin',....
I built an oil pump tank outa a sprayer, 'n it's got the 3/8" 16 thread adapter I found in a dumpster on an old plastic pump,...
A nice sharp wide screwdriver, 'n a rag covers the fill-ups,...

This seems to fall into the Kiss principle,....

I'm going to try the beeswax thing. I sometimes have a cover on the ball when I'm not towing, but it's not unusual for me to forget to put it back on after unhitching the trailer.

The drain/fill kit sounds like a solution in search of a problem....