Are there any modern inboards below say, 300 hp?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ppatterson67

Recruit
I have an eighties Century Arabian project boat with a Merc 470 model (170hp) stern drive. I am exploring repowering and converting from an I/O to a v-drive inboard. However, all the "small" new inboards I can find are all in the 280-350hp range. Versions of this boat with the v-drive option (as was available then) had from 188 to 233hp. inboards in them. Question: are there any new inboards in that horsepower range out there and if so, were does one find them? (Note: whether or not convert from I/O to v-drive is another issue that is beyond the scope of this post, so no advice sought on that subject). Thanks.

Barramundi NQ

Petty Officer 1st Class
Just realized I gave you an Australian website, it's where I am. Try the American mercruiser website for the same model.

Bondo

Staff member
I have an eighties Century Arabian project boat with a Merc 470 model (170hp) stern drive. I am exploring repowering and converting from an I/O to a v-drive inboard. However, all the "small" new inboards I can find are all in the 280-350hp range. Versions of this boat with the v-drive option (as was available then) had from 188 to 233hp. inboards in them. Question: are there any new inboards in that horsepower range out there and if so, were does one find them? (Note: whether or not convert from I/O to v-drive is another issue that is beyond the scope of this post, so no advice sought on that subject). Thanks.

Ayuh,.... Welcome Aboard,.... Most of the Marine Motor Builders are still usin' the 3.0l GM I-4, 'n the GM 4.3l, V-6,....

The 3.0l is still a 140 hp motor, 'n the V-6 runs 'bout just over/ under 200 hp,... 175 hp/ 225 hp,....

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner
Question: are there any new inboards in that horsepower range out there and if so, were does one find them?
Howdy,

Google is really your friend here.

I did a brief search and found Ski Nautique, Ski Supreme, Centurion, Moomba, etc etc........If you have LOTS of $$$, you have LOTS of choices!

NONE of the new manufacturers offered engines smaller than an EFI 5.7L V-8 of 300+ HP.......

The Velvet drive transmissions out there will bolt to most (GM and Ford) SB V-8's and probably will work with the GM 4.3L v-6 and the older inlines. (but I don't know why you would want any engine of less than 250hp which would limit you to a V-8 in most cases.)

If that hull was offered in a mid engine inboard/V-drive, there's clearly no reason you couldn't do it . You would probably have to relocate the fuel tank (if it's in the bow) and maybe do some other things with engine mount points (tear up the floor etc) since the Center of Gravity would be drastically changed moving the engine forward......

In general, you could do what everybody else does when replacing a V-8 marine engine. Go to a truck (pickup) wrecking yard and get a Small-Block GM 305/350 carbureted V-8, replace the core plugs and get all the other marine engine components, jacketed exhaust system, (if you are going to enclose the engine).

You'd also need a Vevet Drive (or equivalent) trans, shaft, coupling, props, stuffing box etc etc etc.

Don't know why it wouldn't work........Don't think it would be worth it though.........but that too, is beyond the scope of this discussion!

Regards,

Rick

Status
Not open for further replies.