Mercruiser repair shop recommendations, DC / Raystown / Baltimore? Oil in water :(

I’m the proud new owner of a Sea Ray 175XL. It has a Mercruiser 4.3. Unfortunately I just found water in the damn oil. I’m going to do a compression check on all 6 tomorrow but either way I’m going to have it gone over by a trained Mercruiser repair shop. I found a Harbin Marine in Lorton VA and a place up by Raystown called Shy Beaver Boat Center. Both are about 1.5 hours from me but the Raystown Lake location would be MUCH easier for me to tow the boat to, Lorton is right outside of DC and the traffic is horrendous! Anyway that said, I need reccomendations, Im not opposed to taking the boat anywhere within a few hours of me if the shop is 100% reputable, being new to boating and being my first I/O I don’t want to get ripped off. I could replace head gaskets myself and could even replace the entire engine myself if I had to, Id really rather have a trained tech check it out because apparently it could be something like a riser gasket etc…. Any input would be greatly appreciated as Id love to get it somewhere this week to have it diagnosed so I can go from there once I know what Im up against. Help!

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner

I’m the proud new owner of a Sea Ray 175XL. It has a Mercruiser 4.3. Unfortunately I just found water in the damn oil. I’m going to do a compression check on all 6 tomorrow but either way I’m going to have it gone over by a trained Mercruiser repair shop.

Howdy,

Not much I can tell you whether using any repair shop might be better than another.

A compression check is likely NOT going to help you in this case. ......... water in the oil is much more frequently due to a cracked block, which a compression check will NOT reveal.

If you want to do some checking before taking it to a shop, you can easily do a cooling system pressure check. This WILL reveal a cracked block and if you do a little inspection, you'll find it.

Then you can decide what to do (which will probably involve replacing the engine with at least a wrecking yard truck v-6 or a rebuilt short/long block engine from a marine rebuilder)

Regards,

Rick

Bondo

Staff member

I’m the proud new owner of a Sea Ray 175XL. It has a Mercruiser 4.3. Unfortunately I just found water in the damn oil. I’m going to do a compression check on all 6 tomorrow but either way I’m going to have it gone over by a trained Mercruiser repair shop. I found a Harbin Marine in Lorton VA and a place up by Raystown called Shy Beaver Boat Center. Both are about 1.5 hours from me but the Raystown Lake location would be MUCH easier for me to tow the boat to, Lorton is right outside of DC and the traffic is horrendous! Anyway that said, I need reccomendations, Im not opposed to taking the boat anywhere within a few hours of me if the shop is 100% reputable, being new to boating and being my first I/O I don’t want to get ripped off. I could replace head gaskets myself and could even replace the entire engine myself if I had to, Id really rather have a trained tech check it out because apparently it could be something like a riser gasket etc…. Any input would be greatly appreciated as Id love to get it somewhere this week to have it diagnosed so I can go from there once I know what Im up against. Help!

Ayuh,.... Welcome Aboard,..... iboats forums are Diy forums, not a Repair Shop Referral site,...

If ya wanta diagnose the issue, 'n fix it yerself, We're ready to help ya, Rick's got ya off to a Good start,....

Spendin' some time in Don'S Adults Only section will give ya Alota learnin' to help ya explain what's goin' on, 'n what to look for,.....
The factory manual links are also in there,.... ;)

Thanks guys, I didn't realize anyone had replied to this when I started the new thread today. Ill have to read up on pressurizing the cooling system but that makes sense, head gaskets are probably fine, Ill dig into the forum and do some more reading to see where they typically crack and why! Thanks again, Im sure Ill be back for more info!

Volphin

Lieutenant
Pressurize the cooling system and listen. Water comes from cracks in the block. Usually in the lifter valley on a 4.3L

Rick Stephens

Admiral
What are the possibilities to get water in? Worst case, cracked block or head. Head gasket - unlikely with that compression test. Cracked intake manifold. Exhaust shutter gone that is letting water in the top end when you shut down - not as likely either.

+1 on Volphin's pressurizing the cooling system and finding any leaks.

Rick

500dollar744ti

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Harbin Marine is pretty good. I do all my own work but I have talked to the guys there and they seem reasonable. I also have friends who take their boats there.