Is is possible to bypass the breaker on a 4.3 I/O?

synergy141

Petty Officer 2nd Class
This is for a 1993 Volvo Penta but I'm sure the mercruisers are the same and there is more action in this section so that's why I'm posting here.I'm getting no power to my trim pump, blower motor, bilge pump or starter. Gauges work fine, stereo turns on. I go to turn the key and I get a clicking noise from the circuit breaker. The red button is jammed in and won't move so I think its dead. Is there a way to bypass this to see if its the culprit? I've cleaned all my grounds and that isn't the issue. I jumped the 2 terminals behind the breaker with a screw driver and still nothing.

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
power trim pump , how is it wired? blower and bilge pump work off the main power system jump the solenoid on the starter, if it spins then locate the slave relay and jump those 2 lugs to spin the starter.
power from the key goes to the slave relay, the slave relay sends power to the main solenoid on the starter

Last edited:

synergy141

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I jump the main power terminal on the starter to either of the small terminals. One turns on the fuel pump and when I jump the other (Yellow with red stripe) it sparks but nothing happens. I jump the Slave solenoid and nothing happens either. Not even a spark. The power trim pump is powered off the big power terminal on the starter.

synergy141

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Would that knock everything else out too? Blower, Trim pump, bilge pump, horn etc?

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
bad connection at the starter. the trim pump on your volvo is wired directly to the + battery stud on the starter with a small fuse located there. so if your trim is dead and the blowers dont work. start there.

synergy141

Petty Officer 2nd Class
When I hit the trim switch I do hear a clicking noise coming from the relay on the trim pump closest to the engine

UncleWillie

Captain
When I hit the trim switch I do hear a clicking noise coming from the relay on the trim pump closest to the engine

That indicates that you have power to the Relays, but you do Not have power to the actual pump.
There are Two sources of power to the Trim Assembly.