big oops and don't want a fire help

skinny1965

Petty Officer 2nd Class
ok so went to gas up the boat at a gas station and I was merrily pumping away when my son starts freaking I looked into the boat to see the floor soaked on the one side. I stopped pumping and lifted rear seat section to see that I just filled my engine area full of gas

It seems the hose came off the filler neck

so back home I pull the boat plug drain the fuel out drained the fuel into a gas tank

then I emptied a bottle of dove dish soap into and on the floors and engine bay and put plug back in
I filled the bay with water and let it sit for a hour or so then rinsed it twice

so should I fill it up again and drain or do I just air it out and for how long

gas floats on water so filling and emptying is not going to help. spray and dilute then allow to air. If you come back and it has a strong smell of gas repeat again.

skinny1965

Petty Officer 2nd Class
ok i have hosed and scrubbed and left it open to air over night should it be good to go

500dollar744ti

Senior Chief Petty Officer
You didn't start then engine with all that gas in there did you? I'm hoping you towed the boat back to the dock?

airshot

Rear Admiral
Another good reason why regular inspection and maintenance is needed on boats. I go thru a thorough checkup on my boat after each outing, hoping to prevent such a catastrophe, you are quite lucky my good man......should serve as a reason for all of us to give our boat a good look over before use again.