best option to quiet down a thru-hull exhaust?

chartersj

Petty Officer 1st Class
good day, i came across a good deal on a baja 232 with a 454 merc. Most have a switchable exhaust but this one has straight thru-hull and no y-pipe. The rcmp are cracking down on loud boats here and was wondering what people have been doing to quiet them down. I would not be pulling the engine to install a y-pipe, even though i know that would be the best way. What type or combination of mufflers/tips would be best?

Last edited:

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner
Howdy,

I have a similar problem if I decide to re-install my Capts Call system I removed when I pulled the 460 King Kobra from my FourWinns 211 Liberator and installed the Merc 454/Bravo.

I intentionally didn't re-install it because the thru-hulls were SO LOUD and I stuck with the Y-pipe exhaust.

You could get your hands on a Y-pipe and just go back to "Thru-prop"......but you'd have to pull the engine to do it.

Your other choice would be stainless steel exhaust silencers like the following from Corsa. http://www.corsamarine.com/exhaust-silencers.aspx

But they're not going to be cheap.

camalot

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Wet mufflers or as some call them water trap mufflers, they work really well

bilge rat jim

Petty Officer 1st Class
Exhaust tips that that angle downwards- deflects the exhaust (and noise) toward the water.

Bondo

Staff member
good day, i came across a good deal on a baja 232 with a 454 merc. Most have a switchable exhaust but this one has straight thru-hull and no y-pipe. The rcmp are cracking down on loud boats here and was wondering what people have been doing to quiet them down. I would not be pulling the engine to install a y-pipe, even though i know that would be the best way. What type or combination of mufflers/tips would be best?

Ayuh,.... Then find another boat to buy,.....

The only way to Quiet the exhaust, is dump it underwater,....