Intake for a vortec

Idlespeedonly

Senior Chief Petty Officer
This fall I plan on replacing the transom on my boat, and while I have it tore apart I am going to replace the tired old engine. I picked up a short block 350 yesterday for free. So my question is what is the most common dual plane, spread bore intake being used. This is just a standard build nothing fancy. This is a freshwater boat also.
Thanks.

Walt T

Lieutenant
Edlebrock 2116 is pretty standard. It's aluminum though. I'd find a stock GM iron intake manifold which I guess you already have on your motor. Nothing wrong with the original intake. Any gains with the aluminum intake won't be noticed so you'll be spending the money for the aluminum one to look pretty. Sorta like your wife.

Idlespeedonly

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Walt, the intake I currently have is the 12 bolt type. So I am going to have to get a new one anyways.
I had looked at the 2116 and the Professional Products brand copy.
I guess I will keep an eye out for a used one. Maybe I will get lucky.
Thanks.

Walt T

Lieutenant
That is true Bruce. However they do make adaptors for carburetors, This is also why you might buy the Edlebrock since you can get them made for a carburetor.

kbsunlovers

Cadet
I'm running an air-gap aluminum knock-off on my non-vortec 383. It actually port-matched very well, despite the rumors about China-sourced parts. Be aware that every screw, washer, zip-tie that falls out of your hand is immediately drawn to the gap under the carb, juussst out of reach of your fingers.

A buddy is running twin vortecs with medium-rise VP manifolds. Not sure where they came from, but they're pretty trick - you might poke around - they look like a Performer RPM, but have volvo cast into them. I believe they're iron, but will check next time I'm on his boat.

The above mentioned intakes are aluminum, however there is a cast iron marine vortec intake on ebay - they seem to be pretty proud of it based on the price

Last edited:

Glaspar_Fan

Seaman
If you are direct cooling with salt water stay away from aluminum manifolds. Aluminum bolted to steel with salt water for an electrolyte is a recipe for fast corrosion.